THE PUBLIC SQUARE
- Democracy's Trojan Horse. Fonte, John // Institute of Public Affairs Review;Dec2004, Vol. 56 Issue 4, p3
Focuses on the concept of democracy in the context of global governance. Assessment on the two major opponents of democrats; Threat of the radical Islamist; Application of human rights and international law as moral basis for the global governance regime.
- GOVERNMENT AND POLITICAL CONDITIONS. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Republic of Angola;Mar2005, p6
Focuses on the government and political condition of Angola. Change from Marxist-Leninist system to nominal multiparty democracy; Opportunities for opposition parties; Central government.
- What is democracy for? Lawson, Neal // Red Pepper Magazine;Aug/Sep2009, Issue 167, p16
The article presents a speech by political commentator Neal Lawson, delivered at the annual general meeting of the Electoral Reform Society, in which he discussed the importance of democracy.
- LOCAL POLITICAL COMPETENCE IN EUROPE: A RESOURCE OF LEGITIMACY FOR HIGHER LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT? Vetter, Angelika // International Journal of Public Opinion Research;Spring2002, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p3
The article investigates the role of the local level of political competence as a resource of political legitimacy for higher levels of government in Europe. It looks for causal links between structural factors such as local autonomy, the integrative capacity of the local political structures...
- LA DÃ‰MOCRATIE EN SON HISTOIRE OU LA CRISE DE LA REPRÃ‰SENTATION. Lazăr, Horia // Studia Universitatis Babes-Bolyai, Ephemerides;2010, Vol. 55 Issue 1, p45
The article deals with the meanings of democracy in terms of philosophical idea and as political regime by means of the notion of representation. Starting from the opposition between democracy and liberalism, the sovereignty of a people and the sovereignty of reason, political elections and...
- The MISSING LINK: Exploring the Relationship Between Higher Education and Political Engagement. Sunshine Hillygus, D. // Political Behavior;Mar2005, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p25
Empirical political behavior research has consistently observed a robust and positive relationship between education and political engagement, but has failed to adequately explain why education is so important. Using data from the Baccalaureate and Beyond (B&B) Longitudinal Study, I test three...
- Hong Kong: Country Forecast: Forecast Scenarios. // Political Risk Yearbook: Hong Kong Country Report;2003, p15
Presents economic forecasts in Hong Kong, China based on different political scenarios of October 2003. Limited autonomy; Direct rule; Democracy; Economic growth; Inflation.
- NOTAS PARA UNA TEORï¿½A DE LA VISIBILIDAD DEMOCRï¿½TICA. GALLEGOS, ENRIQUE G. // Theorï¿½a: Ciencia, Arte y Humanidades;2010, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p37
The topics of transparency, financial accountability, information and other concepts have been established in the political discussion of the last twenty years. The democratic legitimacy requires clear and open governments. With this purpose, this article presents the outlines of a theory of the...
- How to think democracy. Horowitz, Irving Louis // Freedom Review;Apr94, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p37
Discusses the problem posed by the relationship of democracy to capitalism or the relationship of politics to economics. Conservative analysis; Lack of division of opinion between conservatives and liberals; Characteristics of political and economic models; Observations on democracy.