The Church and the City
- Williamsburg from the Past to the Present. Wirkner, Linda // Appleseeds;Dec98, Vol. 1 Issue 4, p4
Focuses on the evolution of the city called Williamsburg in Virginia.
- Sense of Community and Neighbourhood Form: An Assessment of the Social Doctrine... Talen, Emily // Urban Studies (Routledge);Jul99, Vol. 36 Issue 8, p1361
Presents information on a study that focused on urbanism. Information on the social doctrine of urbanism; Urban form and the social life of neighbourhoods; Role of non-environmental factors; Relationship between urbanism and social science; Importance of intermediate variable in studying the...
- THE URBAN PUBLIC LIBRARY: providing utility. Jones, Clara // LJ: Library Journal;1/1/1976, Vol. 101 Issue 1, p81
Discusses the need for urban public libraries in the United States to offer proof of utility. Determination of what tangible contributions a public library makes; Financial problems of urban public libraries; Enriched programming that has benefited the entire public; How information and...
- Readers asked: Can new urbanist planning and design principles be applied sucessfully to inner-.... // Architectural Record;Mar1997, Vol. 185 Issue 3, p20
Looks at the advantages and disadvantages associated with applying urbanist planning and design to inner-city public housing. Views of different architects; Opinion that urbanism is more than a physical design; View that urbanism would alienate the Afro-American.
- Urban invasion. Olsen, Diane // Playthings;Oct2002, Vol. 100 Issue 10, p6
Reports the impact of urban life style in the toy industry in the U.S. Launching of street-style toys; Availability of articulated character figurines on retail stores; Factors attributing to the popularity of urban toys.
- Small is beautiful. Heubusch, Kevin // American Demographics;Jan98, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p42
Discusses how Americans live in micropolitan areas in the United States. Definition of a micropolitan city; Forces that draw people to micropolitan areas; Micropolitan areas that became metropolitan areas in the U.S.
- Oil Dependence, Urban Vulnerability, and Wealth: A View from Australia. Newman, Peter // World Watch;Jan/Feb2002, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p23
Focuses on urban sustainability in the United States. Issues on wealth disparities, cultural and religious differences and globalization agenda; Revenues on buildings and infrastructure maintenance; Services for economic development, education and public health.
- From SIF to City Fund: a new direction for urban policy in Flanders, Belgium. Maarten Loopmans // Journal of Housing & the Built Environment;Jun2007, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p215
AbstractÃ‚Â Ã‚Â For years, analysts have wondered about the exceptional place that Belgium, and in particular Flanders, has taken in the urban policy landscape. Contrary to neighbouring, equally strongly urbanised Western European countries, Flanders maintained a tradition of neglect...
- Landmark church in air-rights swap. // Architectural Record;Feb1991, Vol. 179 Issue 2, p17
Reports that New York City's neo-Baroque Church of St. Jean Baptiste, built in 1910-12, plans to sell the air rights for its rectory to a developer, who will transfer them to an adjacent parcel for the construction of a 31-story building.