Diversity's Many Faces
- Multiculturalism in restaurants is good business. JACKSON, ROY // Nation's Restaurant News;9/3/2012, Vol. 46 Issue 18, p16
In this article the author reflects upon rising trend of multiculturalism in the food service industry of the U.S. He comments on the role that has been played by the Multicultural Foodservice & Hospitality Alliance (MFHA) in promoting workplace diversity and mentions the benefits of...
- Letters. Barker, Sam; Harden, Richard; Harden, Peter; Le-Bellégo, Xavier; Inge, Rosie; de Safrin, Ashley // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;11/29/2007, Vol. 197 Issue 4504, p16
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to articles in previous issues including "Hospitality Failing to Embrace Ethnic Diversity" in the November 15, 2007 issue, a report that states Japan is the culinary center of the world, and a letter regarding omissions in the "Good Food...
- No. 1 Judgments colored by bias undermine diversity efforts. Spector, Amy; Lockyer, Sarah E. // Nation's Restaurant News;5/24/2004, Vol. 38 Issue 21, p54
Considers the issue of discrimination in the U.S. food service sector. Nature of discrimination claims filed by employees and customers against restaurants and other food service providers; Federal laws against discrimination; Promotion of diversity in the industry.
- CHANGING TASTES: OPERATORS ADAPT TO MORE DIVERSE WORLD. Berta, Dina // Nation's Restaurant News;5/23/2005, Vol. 39 Issue 21, p81
Focuses on the strategy of restaurant operators in adapting to an increasingly diverse customer base and work force */in the wake of demographic shifts in the U.S. Consideration of the notable changes in the country's demographic profile; List of states that are predicted to be the...
- Operators explore diversity at 1st multicultural conference. Hayes, Jack; Prewitt, Milford // Nation's Restaurant News;08/24/98, Vol. 32 Issue 34, p1
Highlights the MultiCultural Foodservice and Hospitality Alliance's inaugural conference in Atlanta, Georgia. Participation of foodservice and hospitality executives; Focus of seminars on diversity in the workforce; National Restaurant Association President Herman Cains keynote address.
- Multicultural diversity: It's the right thing to do for your business. Hernandez, Gerald A. // Nation's Restaurant News;5/19/2003, Vol. 37 Issue 20, p42
Comments on the need to include the concept of diversity in the food service work force and supply chain. Value-added service by minority-owned suppliers; Response of businesses to demographic changes; Food service employment from 1990 to 2002.
- Diversity Don'ts. Elkington, Don // Food Management;Oct99, Vol. 34 Issue 10, p22
Focuses on the common mistakes of hospitality organizations when it comes to implementing diversity programs. Failure to use change management processes; Absence of support from the hospitality community; Efforts to link diversity to affirmative action.
- Diversity con job embarrasses industry. Nozar // Hotel & Motel Management;09/20/99, Vol. 214 Issue 16, p8
Comments on hotel companies' failure to attend the United States hospitality industry's 1999 Diversity Conference in Cleveland, Ohio. Best Western International and Hilton Hotels Corp. as the large hotel firms that attended the event; Lack of diversity in the hotel industry's work force.
- Reality check. Frabotta, David // Hotel & Motel Management;01/15/2001, Vol. 216 Issue 1, p46
Reports on the social and cultural challenges of workforce diversity to the hospitality industry in the United States. Need for time, interest, information, mentoring and education investments; Use of customer relationship-management tools and systems.