It Was Lucky, Friday the 13th
- Minnesota Chippewa: Woodland Treaties to Tribal Bingo. Vizenor, Gerald // American Indian Quarterly;Winter1989, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p31
Provides information on the racial attitudes and federal policies that dominated the White Earth Indian Reservation in Minnesota. Description of racial prejudice; Example of a legal agreement signed by the Chippewa tribe with the U.S.; Impact of the Dawes Severalty Act or the General Allotment...
- Looking for a piece of the action. Annin, Peter // Newsweek;6/13/1994, Vol. 123 Issue 24, p44
Informs on the rush to be accepted as a member of the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux tribe in Prior Lake, Minnesota. The booming business at the tribe's casino that divides profits among the 100 tribe members; Comment by Rick Hill, National Indian Gaming Association; Number of tribes in the United...
- Red Lake Band of Ojibwe Opens Doors to New Casino, Hotel and Conference Center. // American Indian Report;Jan2010, p16
The article announces the opening of the Seven Clans Casino, a new Indian casino, hotel and conference center from the Red Lake Band of Ojibwe located on the Minnesota reservation in January 2010.
- DAKOTA RISING. // Native Peoples Magazine;Jan/Feb2012, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p30
The article discusses economic conditions of the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community (SMSC) in Minnesota. The author traces the history of Dakota Indians in Minnesota, including government corruption and poverty in the 19th century, and discusses the transformation of the SMSC following the...
- Indians breaking ground in Minn. with purchase of bank... Rhoads, Christopher // American Banker;3/7/1996, Vol. 161 Issue 45, p7
Reports that the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe Indians in Minnesota, Minneapolis may become the first Native Americans to fully own a bank holding company. Details on Federal Reserve Board approval; Concerns about gambling; Terms of ownership.
- Stirring Things Up in Minnesota. // National Geographic;Sep2004, Vol. 206 Issue 3, Following p128
Mentions how National Geographic photographer Maggie Steber took part in the "parching party" at the Bois Forte Chippewa reservation in northern Minnesota while on assignment.
- Red Lake Panel Voids Jourdain's Re-election. // Native American Law Digest;Aug2006, Vol. 16 Issue 8, p11
The article reports on the nullification of the election of Floyd Jourdain Jr. to the tribal council by the Red Lake General Board and has ordered a new run-off for the seat of the chairman. Jourdain denied allegations made about the conduct of the campaign and said he will bring the ruling for...
- The Healing Power of Well-Reported Words. Oakes, Larry // Nieman Reports;Fall2005, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p17
Presents a narrative of the author's visit to Leech Lake Ojibwe Reservation, northern Minnesota, to investigate the various crimes committed by young people there. Effort of the author to understand how and why things had gotten so much worse; Examples of crimes committed by young people;...
- Puttin' on the Res. // Earth Island Journal;Winter99/2000, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p5
Reports that the White Earth Indian Reservation in Minnesota has found a way to celebrate native traditions while fostering economic independence. Indigenous gourmet treats offered in their `Native Harvest Catalog.'