Antioxidants in acute pancreatitis
- Randomised, double blind, placebo controlled trial of intravenous antioxidant (n-acetylcysteine, selenium, vitamin C) therapy in severe acute pancreatitis. Siriwardena, Ajith K.; Mason, James M.; Balachandra, Srinivasan; Bagul, Anil; Galloway, Simon; Formela, Laura; Hardman, Jonathan G.; Jamdar, Saurabh // Gut;Oct2007, Vol. 56 Issue 10, p1439
Background: Based on equivocal clinical data, intravenous antioxidant therapy has been used for the treatment of severe acute pancreatitis. To date there is no randomised comparison of this therapy in severe acute pancreatitis. Methods: We conducted a randomised, double blind, placebo controlled...
- Initial Management of Acute Pancreatitis: Critical Issues During the First 72 Hours. Tenner, Scott // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Dec2004, Vol. 99 Issue 12, p2489
Although most patients with acute pancreatitis have a mild course, almost a quarter of patients will develop complications. It has become clear that the early management of patients with acute pancreatitis will likely affect outcome. Too often patients are admitted to the hospital with what...
- The latest approaches to pancreatic disease. Abbruzzese, James L.; Lowy, Andrew M.; Pleskow, Douglas; Pennachio, Dorothy L. // Patient Care for the Nurse Practitioner;Sep2001, Vol. 4 Issue 9, p41
Provides information on acute pancreatitis (AP), a self-limiting acute inflammatory process that may involve peripancreatic tissues and remote organ systems. Conditions associated with AP; Signs and symptoms of AP; Techniques in the diagnosis of AP; Therapeutic management approaches.
- Ellagic Acid Inhibits Pancreatic Fibrosis in Male Wistar Bonn/Kobori Rats. Noriaki Suzuki; Atsushi Masamune; Kazuhiro Kikuta; Takashi Watanabe; Kennichi Satoh; Tooru Shimosegawa // Digestive Diseases & Sciences;Apr2009, Vol. 54 Issue 4, p802
AbstractÂ Â The key pathological features of chronic pancreatitis are chronic inflammation, acinar atrophy, and pancreatic fibrosis. We have previously shown that ellagic acid, a plant-derived polyphenol found in fruits and nuts, inhibited activation of pancreatic stellate cells, a major...
- Unusual presentation of acute pancreatitis in falciparum malaria. Ghosh, Saikat; Das, Somak Kumar; Sharma, Anand // Tropical Parasitology;Jan2014, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p56
Malaria is known for its protean manifestations and multi systemic complications. Acute pancreatitis as a consequence of falciparum malaria is rare in the literature. We report a case of falciparum malaria complicated by acute pancreatitis.
- Duodenal perforation due to a kink in a nasojejunal feeding tube in a patient with severe acute pancreatitis: a case report. Zhihui Tong; Weiqin Li; Xinying Wang; Xianghong Ye; Ning Li; Jieshou Li // Journal of Medical Case Reports;2010, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p1
Introduction: Nasojejunal feeding tube placement can be achieved by fluoroscopic or endoscopic techniques. Significant complications due to nasojejunal feeding tube placement, such as hydrothorax, duodenal perforation and retroperitoneal emphysema, are very rare. We present a case of massive...
- A Man With a Retroperitoneal Mass and a Jejunal Mass. Bauer, Peter K.; Wakely Jr, Paul E. // Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine;Apr2003, Vol. 127 Issue 4, pe237
Discusses a case study of a 44-year-old man with heterotopic pancreas of jejunum. Immunohistochemical staining results; Signs and symptoms; Complications.
- About Your Persistent Fistula. Matamoros Jr., A.; Thompson, Jon S. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Mar2000, Vol. 95 Issue 3, p586
Presents a study on the relationship between the cause and severity of pancreatitis and the development of persistent pancreatocutaneous fistula after percutaneous drainage of pancreatic fluid collections. Complication of pancreatitis; Study methods; Findings of the study.
- Acute pancreatitis. Bo-Guang Fan; Andrén-Sandberg, Åke // North American Journal of Medical Sciences;May2010, Vol. 2 Issue 5, p211
Background: Acute pancreatitis continues to be a serious illness, and the patients with acute pancreatitis are at risk to develop different complications from ongoing pancreatic inflammation. Aims: The present review is to highlight the classification, treatment and prognosis of acute...