Police upbeat after well-being strategies
- Four police mergers to go ahead. Russell, Vivienne // Public Finance;2/10/2006, p9
The article reports on the mergers of several police forces. in Great Britain. About four Welsh forces have been merged into a single force. Cleveland, Durham and Northumberland are to be merged into a single Northeast force. Professional assessment is the basis for such mergers.
- Fighting the Blue Flu. Johnson, Dirk // Newsweek;1/26/2004, Vol. 143 Issue 4, p12
Offers a look at the abuse of sick day policies for police in Chicago, Illinois. Report that cops in Chicago are entitled to 365 medical days for every two years of service; Statement that in the private sector workers usually get 12 sick days annually; Comments made by police-union vice...
- Police Officer Candidate Background Investigation. Bradford, David // Public Personnel Management;Winter98, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p423
Examines what can happen when hiring practices for police personnel are accelerated and thorough background investigations condensed or eliminated. How the Crime Bill of 1994 has generated a cash flow of federal funds into state and local coffers for hiring additional personnel; How many...
- WORKING. Allerton, Haidee E. // T+D;Sep2004, Vol. 58 Issue 9, p87
This article presents information on some news events and research findings. Police have a difficult job catching the criminals. A particularly puzzling case in McLean, Virginia, involved the disappearance of an elderly woman's ceramic lawn figures. 95% of Americans say that the most important...
- Research topic: counselling. // People Management;10/2/2008, Vol. 14 Issue 20, p46
The article discusses research on the employee assistance programme (EAP) employed by the Devon & Cornwall Constabulary (DCC), England to address the issue of absenteeism. Analysis supported the view that counselling had a significant effect on reducing absenteeism. It identified many influences...
- TRANSFORMING POLICE ORGANIZATIONS FROM WITHIN. Marks, Monique // British Journal of Criminology;Autumn2000, Vol. 40 Issue 4, p557
Explores the slow pace of change within police organizations in South Africa. Possible reasons for the slowness; International police resistance and dissident police groupings; Emergence of the two groupings during state transition; Difficulties of police transformation; Defying dominant police...
- Police forces told to attract more ethnic minority recruits. Meilton, David // Public Finance;08/13/99, p6
Reports on the attempt of police forces to boost their ethnic minority recruitment in London, England. Mentoring scheme to help Black and Asian recruits; Resignation of ethnic minority recruits.
- Lake Saint Louis. // Wentzville Journal;12/12/2012, Vol. 50 Issue 50, pA4
The article offers information on incidents reported to the police department in Lake Saint Louis, Missouri as of December 12, 2012.
- Police officers still leaving force despite increased funds. // Public Finance;07/09/99, p12
Reports on the decline in the number of police officers in England and Wales, in the year ending March 1999, despite increased spending. Overspending on pension payments, computers and high-technology crime-fighting techniques; Plans of the Metropolitan Police to outsource its emergency calls...