White-tailed Deer Study
- Here a Deer, There a Deer, Everywhere a Deer. Sauer, Peggy R. // Conservationist;Nov/Dec84, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p44
Reports on the growing deer population of New York state as of 1984. Population that outgrew the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation's management goal; Success of the white-tailed deer; Reasons for the population explosion; Damage to agricultural crops from foraging deer;...
- Chronic Wasting Disease in NY. // New York State Conservationist;Jun2005, Vol. 59 Issue 6, p29
Reports on the discovery of chronic wasting disease in captive white-tailed deer in Oneida County, New York. Decision of the New York Department of Environmental Conservation to begin a deer sampling program; Impact of the disease on deer management and use in the state.
- BRIEFLY. // New York State Conservationist;Dec2012, Vol. 67 Issue 3, p28
This section offers news briefs on the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) of New York as of December 2012 on environmental conservation. The new Guided School Program (GSP) Building in Five Rivers Environmental Education Center in Delmar was dedicated to Wendy Repass Suozzo in...
- Managing New York's white-tailed deer. // New York State Conservationist;Aug96, Vol. 51 Issue 1, Wild in New York p6
Reports on the efforts of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation to manage the population of white-tailed deer. Adverse effects of overabundant deer on plant and animal diversity; Formation of a citizen task force to accomplish the goal; Division of New York into over 90...
- The post-rut lull. WEISS, JOHN // Outdoor Life;Dec98/Jan99, Vol. 202 Issue 5, p28
Provides tips in breeding whitetail deer. Breeding capacity of a buck; Recovery time needed by a buck after breeding; Behavior of a buck.
- Lake Sturgeon. Taylor, Christopher J. // New York State Conservationist;Jun99, Vol. 53 Issue 6, p4
Presents information on the Department of Environmental Conservation's hatchery program for the lake sturgeon fish in the state of New York. Decrease in the number of lake sturgeon population; Brief description of the sturgeon; Optimism about the program.
- Don't Judge A Buck. Lange, Sean // Bowhunter;Nov2001 Special Issue, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p24
Focuses on the raising of whitetail deers. Determinants of sizes; Concern on the genetics of deers; Development of body frame.
- ...Now it's deer on the pill. Hanback, Michael; Blumig, Cathy // Outdoor Life;Jul93, Vol. 192 Issue 1, p68
Reports on a trend in wildlife management which aims at developing non-lethal methods of birth control for the whitetail deer. Reason for contraception; Approaches in animal birth control; `Magic bullet'; Immunocontraception; Porcine zona pellucida (PZP) vaccine; Interviews with prominent...
- Doe Genes Matter. Alsheimer, Charles J. // Outdoor Life;May2002, Vol. 209 Issue 3, p75
Presents several techniques in managing the genes of does to produce heavy-antlered whitetail deer. Projection on whitetail breeding; Approach in implementing a quality deer management plan.