BEAR with us
- How DEC Summer Camp Shaped My Life. Canary, Bret // New York State Conservationist;Feb2009, Vol. 63 Issue 4, p9
The article presents testimonies of how the New York Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Summer Camp shaped the lives of some attendees. One attendee says his experience in the summer camp when he was 13 years old influenced his desire to become a camp counselor. A wildlife biologist...
- Paddlefish. McKeown, Paul E.; Carlson, Doug; Colesante, Richard // New York State Conservationist;Feb2000, Vol. 54 Issue 4, p8
Deals with the efforts undertaken by fish biologists of the Department of Environmental Conservation in stocking paddlefish fingerlings at the Allegheny River in New York. Characteristics of the paddlefish; Migratory behavior of paddlefish; Places where the paddlefish continue to exist. INSET:...
- WILDLIFE HEALTH CORNER: A Look at DEC's Wildlife Health Program. Schuler, Krysten // New York State Conservationist;Dec2013, Vol. 68 Issue 3, p24
The article discusses the Wildlife Health Program of the U.S. Department of Environmental Conservation which started its wildlife disease investigation in the 1930s. It states that its aim is to identify and monitor wildlife diseases for a better informed wildlife decision and ensure healthy...
- DEC proposes stricter rules for bear feeding. Lynch, Mike // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;5/6/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 107, p1
The article reports on the comprehensive ban on feeding black bears everywhere, whether or not incidental or intentional, proposed by the Department of Environmental Conservation in New York.
- BLACK BEARS. Berchielli, Louis; Stegemann, Eileen // New York State Conservationist;Oct2004, Vol. 59 Issue 2, p15
Features the black bears found in New York. Sense of smell; Food and family life; Actions taken by the state Department of Environmental Conservation to protect black bears. INSET: Avoiding Human/Bear Conflicts.
- BRIEFLY. // New York State Conservationist;Oct2012, Vol. 67 Issue 2, p29
This section offers hunting news briefs. Several new regulations were implemented by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) on deer and bear hunting, which includes a late bowhunting season in the northern zone. The "Be Green in the Great Lakes" project being done by...
- BRIEFLY. // New York State Conservationist;Oct2010, Vol. 65 Issue 2, p28
This section presents an update on issues related to birds and bird population in New York. Outcomes of the 2009 deer and bear hunting season in the state were reported to be successful. The Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) implemented a 10-year management plan for ring-necked...
- DEC begins project to aid state's efforts at curbing pollution. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;6/10/96, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p21
Reports on the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation's project aimed at enhancing pollution prevention efforts. Evaluation of public health and environmental risks.
- DEC ozone advisories available from hotline. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;6/10/96, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p37
Reports on the availability of advisories on ozone formation from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). Forecast that ozone levels likely to exceed standards set by Environmental Protection Agency.