Children's Fears: A Pre-9/11 and Post-9/11 Comparison Using the American Fear Survey Schedule for Children
Tags: FEAR in children; CHILD psychology; SEPTEMBER 11 Terrorist Attacks, 2001 -- Psychological aspects; HURRICANE Katrina, 2005 -- Psychological aspects; VIRGINIA Tech Shootings, Blacksburg, Va., 2007; MULTIVARIATE analysis; CURRENT events
- TEACHERS' USE OF TEXT TO DEAL WITH CRISIS EVENTS. Rycik, Mary Taylor // College Reading Association Yearbook;2007, Issue 28, p112
Children have witnessed several crisis events during the last five years from 9/11 to Hurricane Katrina. Bibliotherapy, using books about these events, can be useful in helping students cope with their fears and concerns. This article has two objectives. First, to present the results of a...
- Website of the week. Moscrop, Andrew // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);9/22/2001, Vol. 323 Issue 7314, p700
Reviews web sites with information on how to help children deal with the terrorist attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001. Website of the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, www.chp.edu/; Yahoo's 'Featured category: children and traumatic events'; The American Academy of Pediatrics,...
- JOEL KELLY: H0KIE PRIDE. Kislevitz, Gail // Runner's World;Jan2008, Vol. 43 Issue 1, p30
The article presents information on Joel Kelly, who organized a commemorative run for victims of the Virginia Tech shootings.
- "PLEASE PICK UP! Hammaren, Marian // Guideposts;Jan2008, Vol. 62 Issue 11, p84
The article discusses a mother's experience of coping with the death of her daughter who was in class at Virginia Tech that day of the terrible shooting.
- Virginia Tech Reports Start Coming In. // Security: Solutions for Enterprise Security Leaders;Oct2007, Vol. 44 Issue 10, p38
The article discusses the internal reviews concerning the impact of the April 16 Virginia Tech tragedy on the university security in Virginia. Security Infrastructure Group examined the existing security systems of the university and recommended changes that would improve the ability of the...
- Nine Minutes at Virginia Tech. Friedman, Devin // GQ: Gentlemen's Quarterly;Dec2007, Vol. 77 Issue 12, p254
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of surviving the Virginia Tech shootings in Blacksburg, Virginia.
- The Power to Choose. Nasser, Jasmine // Teen Ink;Nov2007, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p19
The author comments on the tendency of the general public to associate race with crimes. She cites the September 2001 terrorist attack and the Virginia Tech massacre, the latter committed by a South Korean. She suggests that instead of focusing on the ethnic background of offenders, people...
- CELEBRATING SURVIVORS. Ephraim, Kristen // Good Housekeeping;Apr2008, Vol. 246 Issue 4, p18
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "I Lived Through Virginia Tech," by Ally Cook in the December 2007 issue.
- Reflections on April 16, 2007. Waggenspack, Beth M. // American Communication Journal;Spring2007, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p6
The article presents a personal narrative describing the author's experiences during the Virginia Tech school shootings in April 2007.