USDA to Eye Breakfast/Academics Link
- USDA To Pilot Program Providing Free Breakfasts. Coles, Adrienne D. // Education Week;01/26/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 20, p20
Reveals the pilot project that will be launched by the United States (US) Department of Agriculture that aims to provide free breakfast to a limited number of elementary schools in the US. Reason behind the project; Number of schools that will be chosen; Budget authorized by the Congress for the...
- USDA Questions: The Importance of Breakfast. // FoodService Director;10/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 10, p22
Questions the impact of the School Breakfast Program (SBP) in a report by the United States Department of Agriculture. Purpose of the implementation of the SBP; Suggested definitions; Percentage of students who do not consume any food or beverage for breakfast.
- Breakfast rising; up 2.3% in schools. // FoodService Director;02/15/98, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p16
States that participation in the United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) School Breakfast Program (SBP)has increased by 2.3 percent, as stated in the seventh annual School Breakfast Scorecard release by the Food Research and Action Center (FRAC). Comments from Michele Tingling-Clemmons,...
- SCHOOL BREAKFAST PILOT PROJECT: Study questions value of universal-free breakfast. // FoodService Director;1/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p10
Analyzes the results of the U.S. Department of Agriculture School Breakfast Program Pilot Project in 2003. Purpose of the project; Effect on schools offering free breakfasts; Difference between the experimental and control groups.
- USDA Offers Temporary Adjustment For School Lunch Program Limits On Meat And Grain. // Beef Expert Blog;12/20/2012, p5
The article reports on the decision of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to offer additional flexibility to evaluate the compliance with the standards of the National School Lunch and School Breakfast programs, citing the operational challenges relating to the limits placed on grains,...
- School Foodservice Directors Sound Off. Brown, Karen; Swartz, Jeff; Goossens, Timothy; DuBois, Katie // Food Management;Jul2014, Vol. 49 Issue 7, p8
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to the article regarding the increasing public and political debate between the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and School Nutrition Association (SNA).
- Six school districts chosen to launch breakfast pilot. // Nation's Restaurant News;05/29/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 22, p19
Focuses on the United States Department of Agriculture's selection of six school districts to participate in an up-to-three-year study on the effects of eating breakfast on academic performance. Study called the School Breakfast Pilot Program; Chance for the schools to offer free breakfast to...
- New USDA data show growing Farm to School efforts help to reduce plate waste, increase student participation in healthier school meals program. // High Plains Journal;11/30/2015, Vol. 133 Issue 49, p6A
The article reflects on the preliminary Farm to School Census data of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) for school year 2013-2014 which indicate that strong farm to school programs can increase the number of students purchasing school breakfast and lunch.
- The Effect of Universal-Free School Breakfast on Milk Consumption and Nutrient Intake. Nolen, Erin; Krey, Kathy // Food Studies: An Interdisciplinary Journal;Dec2015, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p23
The US Department of Agriculture's (USDA's) School Breakfast Program (SBP) is a federally assisted meal program designed to provide students in public and nonprofit private schools access to breakfast. Universal-free school breakfast works well at schools that have a high percentage of...