- EFFECTIVE EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE HINGES ON TRAINED MANAGERS. Watts, Patti // Management Review;Jan88, Vol. 77 Issue 1, p11
Discusses the importance of trained managers in the implementation of employee assistance programs. Factors which affect job performance; Assistance to alcoholics in the workplace; Problems posed by substance abuse, such as alcoholism and drug addiction.
- Intoxication on and off duty and breathalyser tests. Pretorius, Leon // Finance Week;6/1/2005, special section p23
Discusses several cases in South Africa about the abuse of alcohol and narcotic drugs in the workplace. Proof of intoxication or being under the influence of alcohol; Dismissal of an employee as a appropriate sanction; Alcohol consumption after hours.
- Drugs and alcohol in the workplace. Tom, Matthew // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;6/25/2010, Vol. 200 Issue 4633, p50
The article reports on the impact of drugs and alcohol in the workplace and on the workforce and how to deal with it. Consumption of drugs or alcohol at work can be a gross misconduct, but it will be unfair to dismiss an employee based solely on drug or alcohol consumption away from work, unless...
- Creating a substance-free workplace. Marcus, Adrienne // Westchester County Business Journal;3/17/2008, Vol. 47 Issue 11, p30
The article focuses on the need for firms to create a policy that can include drug testing, employee education, and supervisor training to reduce workplace abuses of drugs and alcohol in the U.S. According to the Department of Labor Statistics, three-quarters of illicit drug users age 18 and...
- Society's favourite drug. Martin, Jeannett // Practice Nursing;Dec2008, Vol. 19 Issue 12, p583
The article offers the author's views regarding drug addiction. She reveals that she herself was a drug addicted and opines that if one is addicted to a drug then the addiction is dominating, demoralizing and sometimes frightening. In particular, she talks about alcohol and says that when...
- Meeting the Challenges of Substance Misuse: Making Inroads One Step at a Time. Abbott, Ann A. // Health & Social Work;May2003, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p83
Introduces a series of articles which deal with substance abuse in social work in the U.S., including the impact of alcohol and drug use on professional performance.
- CASE 8: The Drinking Problem. Jones, Sonıa O. // Cases on Issues & Problems in Educational Management;1998, p259
The article discusses the behavioural problems of the second shift vice principal at Temerity Peak Comprehensive High School. School principal Kadian Longstreth has been relying on his two vice principals and guidance councilor due to the increasing behavioural problems of the student. However,...
- La embriaguez habitual o toxicomanÃa como causa de despido. GIL, JOSÉ LUIS; GIL // Capital Humano;Jan2010, Vol. 23 Issue 239, p132
No abstract available.
- Legal Q&Aâ€¦ Alcohol misuse. // Personnel Today;4/3/2007, p20
The article presents questions and answers related to employment laws concerning alcohol misuse. One question is whether employers can take disciplinary action for employees being drunk. Another question is whether employers should implement a policy on alcohol misuse. Another question is about...