Textbook Industry Casts Wary Eye On New Math Programs Endorsed By U.S. DOE
- PARTNERSHIP PAVES THE WAY TO COLLEGE SUCCESS. Frost, Janet Hart; Coomes, Jacqueline; Lindeblad, Kristine // Journal of Staff Development;Oct2012, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p24
The article discusses the partnership of the high school and college math educators in Spokane, Washington, forming the Riverpoint Partnership for Math and Science. It states that this group of Spokane K-12 and college administrators came together to use their combined resources and knowledge to...
- Top 10 MATH PROGRAMS. // Techniques: Connecting Education & Careers;Jan2001, Vol. 76 Issue 1, p11
Lists the top 10 math-reform programs that a United States Department of Education expert panel called 'exemplary' or 'promising.' Program titles; Contact information.
- Efforts Undertaken to Publicize Math Panel's Results. Cavanagh, Sean // Education Week;10/15/2008, Vol. 28 Issue 8, p6
The article reports on the publicity efforts of the U.S. Department of Education in 2008 to distribute the results of its nationwide mathematics research. The creation and distribution of several forms of media, including pamphlets and web-hosting, are described. Additional efforts by the...
- Much-Used Elementary Math Program Gets Qualified Nod From U.S. Ed. Dept. Hoff, David J. // Education Week;9/20/2006, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p8
The article reports on a study of Everyday Mathematics, a popular K-6 math curriculum, used by 3 million students in the United States. The math program was deemed to raise students' test scores by an average of 12 percentile points in a review of four studies reanalyzed by the What Works...
- This is math? Ratnesar, Romesh; August, Melissa // Time International (South Pacific Edition);08/25/97, Issue 34, p56
Focuses on how mathematics is being taught in public school classrooms in the United States. The controversy over so-called interactive or inventive math; Background on the revamping of how math is taught; Why some parents of schoolchildren are outraged at how math is taught.
- Self-Directed Learning. Della-Dora, Delmo; McGovern, Gaye; Wells, James D // Educational Leadership;Mar1980, Vol. 37 Issue 6, p525
Reports on several education-related developments in the United States as of March 1980. Use of self-directed learning in teaching; Coordination of the independent study program and the community involvement program; Developmental mathematics program; Design of program to improve basic...
- EDUCATING MATHS TEACHERS IN AMERICA. // Contemporary Review;Nov2001, Vol. 279 Issue 1630, p302
Deals with the need to focus on math education in the United States, in reference to the performance of American students in the 2001 Third International Mathematics and Science Study-Repeat comparative assessment. Need to improve the education of the masses; Focus on the qualifications of...
- Groups outline steps to boost reading, math. Bradley, Ann // Education Week;02/04/98, Vol. 17 Issue 21, p1
Reports that twelve of the leading education groups in the United States pledged to work together to improve the teaching of reading and mathematics. Number of delegates to the a summit called by the Learning First Alliance; Areas focused on in the teaching of the two subjects; Goals in the...
- The Fourth 'R': RIGOROUS. Ezarik, Melissa // District Administration;Jun2002, Vol. 38 Issue 6, p17
Announces the launching of a mathematics initiative to create an integrated system of curriculum in the U.S. Lack of preparedness by students to take the Advance Placement (AP) courses; Efforts of the College Board to include lower grade levels in the AP courses; Launch of a language arts program.