Tribes Seek Face Time With Would-be Carriers
- Third World islands in a sea of relative prosperity. Bland, David // Region (10453369);Jun94, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p6
Features the Rosebud Sioux Reservation in South Dakota. Contradictions presented by the memorial to a 17th century Iroquis woman at the Saint Francis Mission; Economic problems; Socio economic characteristics of tribal nations.
- Court rules against S.D. landfill. Greczyn, Mary // Waste News;11/11/96, Vol. 2 Issue 26, p5
Presents information on a lawsuit filed by the Yankton Sioux tribe, against South Dakota, when the Southern Missouri Waste Management District began planning a regional landfill on tribal land there. Details on the 8th United States Circuit Court of Appeals' ruling; Key victory for the southern...
- The Sioux Land Commission of 1889: Prelude to Wounded Knee. GREENE, JEROME A. // South Dakota History;Winter1970, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p41
This article discusses relations between the Sioux Indians and the Sioux Land Commission, which tried to dispossess the Indians of the Great Sioux Reservation located in mineral-rich western South Dakota during 1882-90, and recounts Indian-white relations leading to the Wounded Knee Massacre in...
- Producing jobs is key for Indian reservations. Leader, Argus // Fedgazette;Jan1997, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p11
Editorial. Comments on the legislation that would promote general economic development and job training on Indian reservations in South Dakota. Forums and discussions for the advancement of the economic status of the state's Indian population; Unemployment rate on most reservations; Initial...
- SD panel passes changes to preserve Native voting districts. BROKAW, CHET // Native American Times;9/23/2011, Vol. 17 Issue 38, p3
The article highlights a proposal to include Lower Brule and Crow Creek reservations of South Dakota in the legislative district that covers the Rosebud Sioux Indian Reservation, which are all part of the redrawing of the legislative districts of the state.
- Kids Ride Tall in the Saddle at STANDING ROCK. // Native Peoples Magazine;Jul/Aug2011, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p13
The article presents information on the Brave Horse Challenge, an annual event being held in Standing Rocks Reservation in South Dakota.
- Protesters ride against proposed pipeline. LAMMERS, DIRK // Native American Times;11/4/2011, Vol. 17 Issue 44, p1
The article reports on a protest ride by tribal elders, ranchers and actress Daryl Hannah on November 3, 2011 along a route from the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation to the Rosebud Reservation in southern South Dakota opposing a proposed oil pipeline from Canada to the Texas Gulf Coast to be built...
- The transition from reservation to city was often a tough one. GIAGO, TIM // Native American Times;12/17/2010, Vol. 16 Issue 51, p5
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of life from the Indian reservation to Rapid City in South Dakota.
- Horse-Book Drive. // Trail Rider;Jan2011, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p12
The article reports on the support of the "Malama Lio, the Hawaii Horse Journal" to the work of performance-saddle-pad manufacturer ThinLine Inc. by sponsoring a book drive for the Lakota Reservation in South Dakota.