Mayo Clinic and the Origins of Blood Banking
- Answering your questions. Oía, Krishna // MLO: Medical Laboratory Observer;Jun2010, Vol. 42 Issue 6, p26
The article provides answer to a question on the protocol to cover the requests from blood banks to culture units from transfusion reactions and the media and incubation temperature recommended for such.
- Descarte de bolsas de sangue e prevalÃª ncia de doenÃ§as infecciosas em doadores de sangue da FundaÃ§Ã£o PrÃ³-Sangue/Hemocentro de SÃ£o Paulo. Salles, Nanci A.; Sabino, Ester C.; Barreto, Claudia C.; Barreto, Angela M.; Otani, Marcia M.; Chamone, Dalton F. // Revista Panamericana de Salud Publica;Feb2003, Vol. 13 Issue 2/3, p111
Presents information on a study that examined changes in the proportion of blood units discarded from 1991 through 2001 at the Pro-Blood Foundation/Blood Center of SÃ£o Paulo, Brazil. Methodology of the study; Results and discussion on the study.
- Multiple issues face todays blood banks. Lenhoff, Alan // MLO: Medical Laboratory Observer;Oct2014, Vol. 46 Issue 10, p4
An introduction to a series of articles related to the blood bank is presented including antigen discrepancies, bacterial contamination in platelets and the importance of blood utilization data.
- Nation's blood supply safer than ever. // USA Today Magazine;Feb95, Vol. 123 Issue 2597, p16
Reports on blood transfusion as one of the safest procedures in medicine. Improved donor screening and tests in the United States to identify viruses in donated blood; Public misperceptions of blood transfusion; Ongoing research on blood transfusion in the US as of February 1995.
- Blood drive draws 28. // Clarendon Enterprise (TX);9/13/2007, Vol. 18 Issue 39, p7
The article reports that Coffee Memorial Blood Center saw 28 individuals and drew 18 units during a blood drive at the Bairfield Activity Center in Texas.
- Blood centers say demand often outpaces their supply. Wilkinson // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);08/23/99, Vol. 20 Issue 8, p25
Reports on the supply-and-demand of donated blood in New Orleans, Louisiana. Contributing factors to current low blood supply; Blood transfusion needs of critically-injured persons; Blood supply needs of area hospitals.
- New York Blood Center issues plea for blood. // New York Amsterdam News;12/4/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 49, p29
Blood drives scheduled for the month of December are at least 50 percent below what is necessary to meet local hospital patient transfusion needs, report New York Blood Center (NYBC) officials. Therefore NYBC has issued an urgent appeal to area businesses, community groups and civic...
- AnÃ¡lisis de la prÃ¡ctica transfusional en un hospital de segundo nivel en Cali, Colombia entre junio y noviembre de 2010. Valencia Arango, Wilson; Villada, Ingrid; Calero, Sandra Marcela; Muñoz, Diego Armando; Varela, Paula Andrea; Villada, Luzby // Revista MÃ©dicas UIS;2012, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p107
Introduction: scientific societies have studied indications for blood transfusion and have designed clinical practice guidelines to avoid unnecessary transfusions and optimize the use of donated blood units. Some researches have found that these guidelines aren't followed as expected. Objective:...
- Self-donated blood not foolproof. // Consumers' Research Magazine;Jul95, Vol. 78 Issue 7, p7
Presents information of a survey conducted by the American Association of Blood Banks regarding autologous blood donation practices in the United States. Commiting of mistakes in the giving of conventional blood; Giving of autologous donations to someone else; Spared viral infection screenings...