News @ a glance
- CDC Urban Research Centers: Community-Based Participatory Research to Improve the Health of Urban Communities. // Journal of Women's Health & Gender-Based Medicine;Jan/Feb2001, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p9
The article discusses the role of Urban Research Centers (URCs) in determining, what works to improve the quality of life for urban population. URCs focus on specific communities within their respective cities. Communities are defined either by geographic areas or by common characteristics, such...
- South Africa's New National Drug Policy. Zuma, Nkosazana Dlamini // Journal of Public Health Policy;1997, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p98
This article focuses on South Africa's new national drug policy. One of the major expenditures in South Africa's health services was drugs. But because there was no drug policy, and hence no coordinated rational drug strategies, the cost of health care was constantly being pushed up. Therefore,...
- The 14th WHO Model List of Essential Medicines. // WHO Technical Report Series;2005, Issue 933, p54
The article presents the 14th World Health Organization's 14th Model List of Essential Medicines. It discusses the concept of essential medicines, the procedures for updating the Model List, selection criteria, quality assurance, and the promotion of rational use of essential medicines. The...
- Illogical charges should go. Griffiths, Matt // Nursing Standard;1/14/2009, Vol. 23 Issue 19, p28
The author expresses his opinion that the system of prescription charges in England needs to be abolished. He explains that the system reduces patients' access to a fair healthcare system. Patients are forced to choose which medications they can afford, resulting in potentially inadequate...
- Casino workers deal with plenty of stress. King, Pat // Las Vegas Business Press;03/19/2001, Vol. 18 Issue 12, p15
Focuses on news and developments related to health care in the United States as of March 19, 2001. Health problems associated with casino jobs; Need to reinvent the United States health system; Drug plan introduced by U.S. President George W. Bush that would provide $48 billion in direct...
- JAMA report questions CPOE safety. Sipkoff, Martin // Drug Topics;4/18/2005, Vol. 149 Issue 8, pHSE1
This article focuses on the controversy over the safety of the computerized physician order entry (CPOE) in the U.S. Concern may have risen to a new level in March 2005 with publication of a report in the Journal of the American Medical Association that said CPOE could cause as many medication...
- Drug Fix. // American Spectator;Oct2003, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p59
Criticizes the prescription drug bills considered by the U.S. Congress. Views of economist Milton Friedman on healthcare demand; Cost of Medicare and prescription drug benefits; Implementation of the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program.
- HEALTH CANADA APPROVES NOVARTIS ORAL CANCER DRUG. // Worldwide Biotech;Nov2001, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p3
Reports on the approval of an oral therapy for the treatment of chronic myeloid leukemia from Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. by Health Canada in 2001.
- Aclasta indications. // Australian Journal of Pharmacy;Oct2009, Vol. 90 Issue 1073, p36
The article evaluates the Aclasta injection solution from Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc.