New Survey Vessel Discovery Starts Work for Fugro Survey
- UNOLS FLEET. // Sea Power;Jan2009, Vol. 52 Issue 1, p54
The article lists the civilian oceanographic research ships that are part of the University National Oceanographic Laboratory System fleet which include the Kilo Moana ocean ship, the Seward Johnson intermediate ship, and the Urraca local near-shore ship.
- ROV runs silent, runs deep. Higgins, Amy; Koucky, Sherri // Machine Design;04/19/2001, Vol. 73 Issue 8, p28
Focuses on the machine design of a remotely operated undersea vehicle (ROV) from the French National Institute for Maritime Research. Features; Record set for a single dive.
- 'SOUTHERN SURVEYOR' CSIRO'S OCEAN RESEARCH VESSEL RESTORED. Anderson, Guy // Professional Fisherman;Nov2003, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p32
Features Souther Survivor, an oceanographic research vessel designed by Burness Corlett. Construction material; Overall length; Beam; Draught; Speed; Main engine; Gear box; Fuel capacity.
- New Research Ship to Serve NOAA's Flower Garden Banks Sanctuary. // Washington Letter of Oceanography;7/14/2008, Vol. 42 Issue 14, p3
The article reports on a new research vessel launched by the U.S. National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (BOAA). The vessel will enhance the study and protection of Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary in the Gulf of Mexico. The 83-foot vessel called RV Manta will operate out of...
- Antarctic icebreaker buys time for research. Anderson, Ian; Peterson, Christian // New Scientist;10/27/90, Vol. 128 Issue 1740, p25
Reports on the maiden voyage of the ice breaker, Aurora Australis, to Mawson in Antarctica as research vessel designed to afford researchers an extra month to conduct studies in the area. Description of the ship; Research possibilities.
- Rethinking Research Ships. Loughnane, Dermot // Journal of Ocean Technology;Jun-Sep2013, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p108
The article emphasizes the need to reevaluate the way research ships are being owned and operated particularly in Canada. According to the author, a reevaluation is necessary as government funding for research declines and the costs for ships and operations increase. The author suggests aligning...
- The New German Deep Sea Research Vessel Sonne. von Bröckel, Klaus // Journal of Ocean Technology;Jun-Sep2013, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p10
An essay is presented about the Research Vessel (RV) Sonne, which is being retrofitted for the Federal Republic of Germany as of 2013. The vessel was built as a fishing trawler in 1969. The RV Sonne will be developed as a multi-purpose working platform to operate in the Pacific and the Indian...
- The Importance of RESEARCH VESSELS. Brown, Thomas J.; Fudge, Susan B.; Rose, George A. // Journal of Ocean Technology;Jun-Sep2013, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p28
The article discusses why research vessels are important. According to the authors, research vessels are important because they are being used in ocean research. The authors note that gaining knowledge about the state of the oceans is necessary to guide ocean policies and improve ocean...
- Multidisciplinary Research Vessel Operations in the North Atlantic. Gillooly, Michael; Fitzgerald, Aodhán // Journal of Ocean Technology;Jun-Sep2013, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p48
The article focuses on the Research Vessel (RV) Celtic Explorer of the Marine Institute of Ireland. The vessel is said to be intended for multidisciplinary marine research operations in the North Atlantic. The RV Celtic Explorer's design as well as its equipment and other components are...