To the Deep Water: James Baldwin's "Sonny's Blues"
- DARK SOUL DR FRANKENSTEIN. Wallace, Ian // FADER;Oct/Nov2006, Issue 41, p158
The article provides information on musician Charles Stepney. Stepney decided it was time to leave his musical aspirations behind and start hustling as a shoe salesman in the early 1960s. He became the in-house arranger, producer and songwriter for Chicago's Cadet label, where he remained for...
- ANOTHER COUNTRY. Levinson, David Samuel // Out;Jul2007, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p22
The article reviews the book "Another Country," by James Baldwin.
- Sonny's Bebop: Baldwin's "Blues Text" as Intracultural Critique. Sherard, Tracey // African American Review;Winter98, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p691
Evaluates the music recording "Sonny's Blues." Specificities of the book's music and cultural implications; Metaphorical nature of the blues matrix; Assertion that there is a for a form of cultural narrative as repository for the experiences of African Americans.
- Bruce Cook on jazz. // New Republic;7/6/74, Vol. 171 Issue 1/2, p27
Profiles of American jazz musician Duke Ellington. Quality of the music composed by Ellington; Contribution of Ellington to the establishment of musical organizations; Relation of Ellington with other musicians; Career history; Achievements; Educational background; Musical instruments being...
- Simone: Live at Town Hall. Mcgregor, Susan E. // New York Amsterdam News;4/27/2006, Vol. 97 Issue 18, p19
The article reports on the tribute concert organized for legendary jazz and standards singer Nina Simone by her daughter at the Town Hall theater in New York City last Friday night. Commemorating one of the most historic concerts ever given by the legendary jazz and standards singer, the evening...
- HOT R&B/HIP-HOP SONGS. // Billboard;6/17/2006, Vol. 118 Issue 24, p75
The article reports on the top rhythm & blues(R&B)/hip-hop songs in the U.S. Boosted by WWPR New York (up 72 plays). WENZ Cleveland (up 56) and WKYS Washington, D.C. (up 55), single gains more than 12 million in audience to earn chart's Airplay medal. Sales of a 12-inch single help Furtado's...
- The Highway That Sings. Nelson, Andrew // National Geographic Traveler;Jul/Aug2003, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p44
Features travels along the Blues Highway or Route 61 between Memphis, Tennessee and Vicksburg, Mississippi in search of blues music. Performance of blues musicians at the Hopson Plantation in Clarksdale, Mississippi; Historical background of Highway 61; Description of the Hard Rock Cafe blues...
- Jazz. A.M. // Gramophone;Oct95, Vol. 73 Issue 869, p174
Reviews the music recordings `In A Mellow Tone,' by Ben Webster and `Sonny's Blues,' by Sonny Stitt.
- Waiting for You: Beauford Delaney as James Baldwin's Inspiration for the Character Creole in "Sonny's Blues." Dempsey, Joan // Obsidian;Spring/Summer2011, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p60
An essay is presented on the character of Creole in the short story "Sonny's Blues" by James Baldwin which is dedicated to Beauford Delaney. The author states that Delaney is a homosexual, preacher, and creative artists. She says that the story features the life of a young pianist who had been...