Hospital Introduces On-Site Garden
- FERTILIZING. // Southern Living;Jun2007, Vol. 42 Issue 6, p82
The article presents tips for applying fertilizers in the vegetable garden. Gardeners could feed tomatoes, squash, peppers and tomatillos with composted manure, fish emulsion or a slow-release granular fertilizer to promote plant growth and vegetable production. Some of the fertilizers good for...
- Healthy eating. VanBeber, Anne // TCU Magazine;Fall2008, Vol. 52 Issue 3, p19
The article offers ways on how to increase consumption of fruits and vegetables. Try planning a trip to the local farmer's market where vendors provide food preparation tips for the products they sell and taste tests of unfamiliar fruit or vegetable are offered. A small vegetable garden...
- Read More. Apte, Sunita // Eating Green;2010, p32
A list of recommended books for individuals interested in eating green is presented including "Composting: Decomposition: (Do It Yourself)," by Anna Claybourne and "A Backyard Vegetable Garden for Kids," by Amie Jane Leavitt.
- Vegetable gardens prosper with organic matter. Gedon, Trisha // High Plains Journal;9/7/2015, Vol. 133 Issue 36, p18B
The article focuses on improving health of plants in vegetable gardens with addition of organic matters and composts including improved soil fertility and drainage by adding manure, improved soil structure allowing water retention, and use of low-concentration fertilizers for vegetables.
- Get the most out of your vegetable garden. Voyle, Gretchen // Michigan Farmer (0026-2153);Jun2012, Vol. 316 Issue 6, p18
The article offers tips on how to benefit one's vegetable garden including considering the location, buying rain gauge, and adding compost.
- GARDENING ON A GOLD MINE. // Organic Gardening (08973792);Nov88, Vol. 35 Issue 11, p12
Focuses on Victor Mongelli's vegetable garden in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Mongelli's resistance to sell his property for casino; Plan to continue tending the soil and enjoying the produce from his seaside patch; Use of composting to enrich the garden's sandy soil.
- Cool for carrots. Pember, Mat // Australian Gourmet Traveller;Jul2014, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p51
The article offers information on growing carrots successfully. Topics covered include the proper preparation of the soil for planting, nutrition, sun, water and composting requirements of the vegetable, the best companion vegetables for carrots in autumn and winter in Australia, and tips for...
- Farmers' Market Forays. // Alive: Canada's Natural Health & Wellness Magazine;Jul2003, Issue 249, p16
Lists reasons for buying food items at farmers' markets. Selection; Freshness; Cost; Availability of organic goods.
- ASK OUR EXPERT. // Good Housekeeping;Jun2008, Vol. 246 Issue 6, p22
The article presents an answer to a question on whether to buy food products from local farmers' market which they claim to be organic.