- Bobsled Winters. Anton, Lucille Armstrong // Good Old Days Looking Back;Jan2009, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p36
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience in horse-drawn bobsleds and cutters, sleighs, skis and skates during winter.
- The yearlong search for a perfect sled. Stark, P. // Smithsonian;Dec87, Vol. 18 Issue 9, p138
The search for a sled that could handle rough treatment led to a study of the history of sleds and sledding through the ages. Describes various sleds and their uses, including troikas, toboggans, dogsleds, clippers, saucers and contemporary competitive sleds.
- Sleds: sliding on snow. Kimber, B. // Country Journal;Dec87, Vol. 14 Issue 12, p76
Uses for sleds, sleighs and sledges. History of the development of the sled. Variations on the sled and snow requirements. INSET: Two major sled makers..
- Jack jumpers. Buxton, P.L. // Yankee;Dec90, Vol. 54 Issue 12, p24
Describes jack jumpers, an old ski with a seat for riding in the snow.
- Life on the (bobsled) run. Simmons, C.R. // Science World;1/24/92, Vol. 48 Issue 9, p17
Highlights the sport of bobsledding. Speed and kinetic energy; Potential energy; Muscle power; Friction; Heat; Drivers do little driving. INSET: Emperor penguin (aerodynamic bodies)..
- The unlikely team from the tropics. Lee, J. // U.S. News & World Report;2/15/88, Vol. 104 Issue 6, p63
How a bobsled team from the tropical island of Jamaica could make it to the Winter Olympics and how the idea came about.
- A reggae ride to the Olympics. Manly, H. // Newsweek;4/16/1990, Vol. 115 Issue 16, p94
Reports on the Jamaican bobsled team who are trying to redeem themselves for their almost disastrous performance in the 1988 Olympic games. How they have improved remarkably; How the idea was born; Training.
- 2-man & 4-man bobsled. Schwade, S. // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness;Mar92, Vol. 53 Issue 3, p140
Discusses Olympic hopefuls in the sport of bobsledding. Brian Shimer, Hershel Walker, and Tyrone Jones. Leg thrust; Weight training; Training exercises for bobsledders; CBS sports television coverage.
- Olympians bank American. Vizard, Frank // Popular Mechanics;Feb94, Vol. 171 Issue 2, p29
Features the development of the bobsled called Bo-Dyn Sled used by the American bobsled team at the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway. Building of an American-made bobsled by Airflow Sciences Corp. for the 1988 Olympics; Stock-car racer Geoff Bodine's financial contribution to the...