- Bobsled Winters. Anton, Lucille Armstrong // Good Old Days Looking Back;Jan2009, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p36
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience in horse-drawn bobsleds and cutters, sleighs, skis and skates during winter.
- The yearlong search for a perfect sled. Stark, P. // Smithsonian;Dec87, Vol. 18 Issue 9, p138
The search for a sled that could handle rough treatment led to a study of the history of sleds and sledding through the ages. Describes various sleds and their uses, including troikas, toboggans, dogsleds, clippers, saucers and contemporary competitive sleds.
- Sleds: sliding on snow. Kimber, B. // Country Journal;Dec87, Vol. 14 Issue 12, p76
Uses for sleds, sleighs and sledges. History of the development of the sled. Variations on the sled and snow requirements. INSET: Two major sled makers..
- Jack jumpers. Buxton, P.L. // Yankee;Dec90, Vol. 54 Issue 12, p24
Describes jack jumpers, an old ski with a seat for riding in the snow.
- Life on the (bobsled) run. Simmons, C.R. // Science World;1/24/92, Vol. 48 Issue 9, p17
Highlights the sport of bobsledding. Speed and kinetic energy; Potential energy; Muscle power; Friction; Heat; Drivers do little driving. INSET: Emperor penguin (aerodynamic bodies)..
- The unlikely team from the tropics. Lee, J. // U.S. News & World Report;2/15/88, Vol. 104 Issue 6, p63
How a bobsled team from the tropical island of Jamaica could make it to the Winter Olympics and how the idea came about.
- 2-man & 4-man bobsled. Schwade, S. // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness;Mar92, Vol. 53 Issue 3, p140
Discusses Olympic hopefuls in the sport of bobsledding. Brian Shimer, Hershel Walker, and Tyrone Jones. Leg thrust; Weight training; Training exercises for bobsledders; CBS sports television coverage.
- Olympians bank American. Vizard, Frank // Popular Mechanics;Feb94, Vol. 171 Issue 2, p29
Features the development of the bobsled called Bo-Dyn Sled used by the American bobsled team at the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway. Building of an American-made bobsled by Airflow Sciences Corp. for the 1988 Olympics; Stock-car racer Geoff Bodine's financial contribution to the...
- Fast and Furious. Walsh, Molly // Ski;Jan2009, Vol. 73 Issue 5, p50
The article presents information on bobsled rides down the World Cup track at Lake Placid Olympic Sports Center in New York.