Prevention vs. Response: Can "Both And" Work as Your Strategy?
- VT 'Defining Moment' But What's the Meaning? Zalud, Bill // Security: Solutions for Enterprise Security Leaders;Jun2007, Vol. 44 Issue 6, p12
The article focuses on the issue concerning campus security in relation to the campus shooting at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in the U.S. According to the author, many organizations are now evaluating the ways they communicate during emergencies. The methods include the...
- Preventive Action Is Best Defense Against Tragedy. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;4/23/2007, Vol. 25 Issue 17, p4
The article reflects on the importance of preventive health services and security to prevent school tragedy in the U.S. such as shooting at Virginia Tech University. It argues that providing treatment for mental and health illness is less costly than board costs in jails and prisons. It urges...
- COULD IT HAPPEN HERE? Bonnick, Helen // Community Care;4/26/2007, Issue 1670, p8
The article focuses on the possibility of a high-school shooting in Great Britain as what happened in Virginia Tech University in Blacksburg. The author states that this is unlikely since she believes that the country is still far from the U.S. norm of buying weapons across the counter. She also...
- Occupational health addresses the aftermath of violence. // Occupational Health Management;Jun2007, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p64
The article focuses on dealing with the exposure risk that might result in the aftermath of a workplace violence through occupational health nursing. According to occupational health nurse Karen Vesterby, an exposure control plan is important. W. Barry Nixon, executive director of the National...
- University creates new post to deal with racism. // Black Issues in Higher Education;11/27/97, Vol. 14 Issue 20, p10
Announces that the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University will create a post for a vice president for minority affairs to deal with the problem of campus racism. Factor contributing to creation of post; Other plans for university.
- Virginia Tech spearheads HBCU computer consortium. Roach, Ronald // Black Issues in Higher Education;11/13/97, Vol. 14 Issue 19, p30
Features the ` Introduction to Black Studies,' class taught at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University using a computer element. Statements from lecturer Dr. Joyce Williams-Green; Information on a initiative at twelve historically black colleges on computer use..
- Virginia Tech Research Center Poised to Open in India. // India -- West;10/26/2012, Vol. 37 Issue 49, pB7
The article presents information on the planning of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia to open its research center in Chennai, India.
- Compost kickstarts. Long, Cheryl // Organic Gardening (08973792);Sep/Oct95, Vol. 42 Issue 7, p20
Reports that bacterial `compost starter' inoculants do not aid in making compost faster according to researchers at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg. Results of tests on four compost piles.
- Affirmative action at Virginia Tech: The tail that wagged the dog. Bauer, Henry H. // Academic Questions;Winter92/93, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p72
Explains how the Virginia Polytechnic Institute reached the point where abuses of power by midlevel administrators and violations of elemental justice became possible in Blacksburg, Virginia. Background information; Impact of affirmative action; Group representation as a principle of...