Tales of a Tenderfoot Mountain Hiker
- Woodward freestyle camp. // BMX Plus;Nov97, Vol. 20 Issue 11, p79
Focuses on the Woodward Freestyle Camp in Pennsylvania, which is mainly for bicyclists. Information on the Woodward Camp; Details on the life at Woodward; Costs to attend the camp; Reference to some of the activities offered at the camp.
- Winter camping: Think C.O.L.D. to stay warm. Grewell, K. // Boys' Life;Jan1990, Vol. 80 Issue 1, p14
Gives advice on how to stay warm when camping overnight in the winter. What to wear; Type of sleeping bag to use; What to eat; Keeping clean and dry.
- Low-impact camping. Halter, J.C. // Boys' Life;Mar1990, Vol. 80 Issue 3, p44
Explains low-impact or no-trace camping techniques which are explained in the `Boy Scout Handbook.' Number of people in hiking group; How to cook food; What to do with trash; `Noise pollution.'
- Building a fire in the rain. McNamara, J. // Boys' Life;Mar1990, Vol. 80 Issue 3, p8
Explains how to build a fire in the rain. Where to find dry tinder and wood; Location of fire; Low-impact techniques; Other tips for building a fire.
- Hot tips for winter camping. Jacobson, Cliff // Boys' Life;Dec92, Vol. 82 Issue 12, p18
Offers ten tips for staying warm on winter camping trips. Wear two pairs of socks; Winter boots should be at least one full size larger than summer hiking boots; Use a snug-fitting sleeping bag; Mealtime tips.
- Color-code your food. Jacobson, Cliff // Boys' Life;Oct93, Vol. 83 Issue 10, p12
Provides some tips on food when you're camping. Keeping your food in order by packing in color-coded plastic bags; How to pack fresh vegetables for a backwoods trip; Details.
- Sleeping with the enemy? Fayhee, M. John // Backpacker;May93, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p56
Relates the author's interminable `camping' conversation with a couple owning recreational vehicle (RV). The couple's reaction to the author, a `tenter'; The author's secret desire to own a motor home; More.
- A dry-bag shower. // Backpacker;Feb95, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p24
Presents camping innovations from readers. Includes making of a field shower from a dry-bag; Additional padding for shoulder straps; Color coding of camping gear; Uses for a surplus army poncho; Setting up of bear alarm under bear-bagged food; Use of roasting bags for cooking camp food;...
- Wise advice. // Backpacker;Oct96, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p27
Provides advice related to camping in the United States. Important uses of baking soda; Longer-burning fire starters; Prevention of accidental battery drain.
- Oregon's Waldo Lake. Sparks, Jeffrey J. // Backpacker;Oct96, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p76
Features the wilderness and camping sites of the Waldo Lake in Oregon. Suggested season for visit; Trails; Facilities.