Brother(s), can you spare the time?
- 267 miles in the High Sierra. Csatari, J. // Boys' Life;Jul89, Vol. 79 Issue 7, p20
Recounts the hike of Troop 401 chartered to the Rotary Club of Pleasant Hill, California. They hiked the entire length of California's legendary John Muir Trail and climbed the tallest peak in the lower 48 states. INSET: `John of the Mountains'.;Know before you go..
- 12 days on the trail. Duff, K. // Boys' Life;Aug90, Vol. 80 Issue 8, p44
Describes a 12-day hike in the high Sierras by Boy Scout Troop 659 of Alexandria, Va. Preparation for the hike; Weight of their packs; Some of the sights they saw; Their encounter with a bear.
- Around the bloomin' mountain. Csatari, J. // Boys' Life;May92, Vol. 82 Issue 5, p32
Describes a hike on Mount Hood's Timberline Trail by Boy Scout Troop 174 last summer. Best time to hike is early August; Information about the trail; The pesty bugs encountered. INSET: Know before you go.;Outdoors lover's mountain..
- It's a tough job... Viehman, John // Backpacker;Sep92, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p5
Higlights the annual trip taken by the staff of `Backpacker' magazine. Their choice of the Appalachian Trail near Damascus, Virginia; Reasons why it is a good idea to take the staff out into the field; The valuable learning experience of the outing; Descriptions of `thru-hikers'; M&Ms as the...
- Signpost. Wilkinson, Todd; Hunter, Mike // Backpacker;Sep92, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p10
Presents backwoods information for hikers and outdoors lovers. Christopher Swan's idea on how to make the way-too-congested Yosemite National Park a bit less so; Environmentally-sound, solar-powered trains; Estimated prehistoric wood taken from Petrified Forest National Park in 1991; Dinosaur...
- 100 wild miles. Gorman, Stephen // Backpacker;Sep92, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p20
Explores Maine's 100 Mile Wilderness section of the Appalachian Trail. The 10 to 15 million acres of virtually uninhabited Maine forest; The moose population; The toll of overhunting and habitat conversion on the population; Other animals in the Wilderness, such as the eastern timber wolf,...
- As wild as when Thoreau walked the paths. // Backpacker;Sep92, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p25
Presents vital statistics for the 100 Mile Wilderness stretch of the Appalachian Trail in Maine. Location; Area; Management; Directions; Car shuttle; Season; Camping; Water; Wildlife; Fish; Local services; Maps, guidebooks and further readings.
- Maine's wildest miles. // Backpacker;Sep92, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p28
Presents a number of maps that act as a guide to the `100 Mile Wilderness' section of the Appalachian Trail in Maine. Trail profile; Details. INSET: Hiker Hilton (the 11 lean-tos along the 100 Mile Wilderness....
- Trail notes. // Backpacker;Sep92, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p82
Considers the proposed 100-mile Mahican Trail, which would stretch from Stillwater, New York to Shelburne, Massachusetts and link up with the Taconic Trail in New York, the Long Trail in Vermont and pass over the Hoosick Highlands to join trails along the Deerfield River in western...
- Trail notes. // Backpacker;Sep92, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p83
Announces that the National Park Service has approved plans for a 63-mile North-South Trail in Rhode Island stretching from the northwest corner of the state near Buck Hill Management Area in Burrillville, to the sea at Ninigret National Wildlife Refuge in Charlestown. The cooperative effort...