THE SKILLS EQUATION
- Return on Investment. Light, Elizabeth // NZ Business;Nov2002, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p18
Discusses how on-site literacy and numeracy training of staffs in manufacturing and processing sectors in New Zealand can improve a company's performance and profitability. Status of literacy in New Zealand according to International Adult Literacy Survey; Effect of poor literacy of workers on...
- E-learning essential to plug UK skills gap. // e.learning age;Apr2005, p6
Reports the encouragement of British companies to consider the use of online learning to close the skills gap in the country. Increase in the proportion of businesses affected by a skills shortage in 2004; Remarks from Denise Candy, CEO of HSLH, a company that delivers online learn direct...
- School's out for skills. Phillips, Lucy // People Management;9/6/2007, Vol. 13 Issue 18, p14
This article discusses findings of a survey from CBI, which revealed that employers are becoming more dissatisfied with the basic skills of school leavers despite their expertise with new technologies. The survey revealed that 52 percent were frustrated by school leavers' literacy skills and 50...
- MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD. Long, Richard // Reading Today;Jun/Jul2006, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p15
Encourages reading professionals to write letters to U.S. legislators that will address unmet needs in education. Number of adolescent literacy programs funded by the Striving Readers program; Increase in the budget for the Labor, Health & Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies area;...
- Building basic business skills. Overton, Laura // e.learning age;Jul/Aug2009, p21
The article looks at the importance of basic skills for businesses. It explores the state of basic skills in Great Britain as of 2009, citing that findings of a research by LearnDirect where one in six adults is allegedly lacking in literacy skills and one in two adults is lacking functional...
- Longhorn state offers employee training grants. Griffin, Cynthia E. // Entrepreneur;Jan1998, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p166
Reports that training grants can be obtained from Smart Jobs Fund for small-business owners who need to train or retrain employees In Texas. Amount of money small-business owners can apply up to; Operation of the grants; Information on the grants; Availability of the grants; How small-business...
- WASHINGTON REPORT. // Training & Development Journal;Jan1972, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p67
Presents news about education in the U.S. Funding for career education models; Reorganization of the Office of Education; Bureau of Educational Personnel Development to become National Center for Educational Systems Improvement.
- Money funneled to schools. // American School & University;Apr97, Vol. 69 Issue 8, p3
Reports on the release of federal Technology Literacy Challenge grants in February 1997. Provision of school districts with computers and Internet training; Increase in the funding for the program.
- Top 25 Recipients of U.S. Department of Education Reading First State Grants 2002-2004. // Educational Marketer;6/16/2003, Vol. 34 Issue 17, p3
Lists top recipients of the Reading First grants of the U.S. Department of Education.