Are New Technologies the Enemy of Privacy?
- Newsbook on Privacy. // Time;9/29/1967, Vol. 90 Issue 13, p106
The article reviews the book "Privacy and Freedom," by Alan F. Westin.
- Privacy and Freedom (Book). Toll, Katharine // Social Work;Oct68, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p114
Reviews the book "Privacy and Freedom," by Alan F. Westin.
- Databanks in a Free Society: Computers, Record-keeping, and Privacy. Friedland, William H. // Administrative Science Quarterly;Sep73, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p419
The article presents a review of the book "Databanks in a Free Society: Computers, Record-keeping, and Privacy," by Alan F. Westin and Michael A. Baker.
- DATABANKS IN A FREE SOCIETY: COMPUTERS, RECORD-KEEPING AND PRIVACY/ PRIVATE LIVES AND PUBLIC SURVEILLANCE: SOCIAL CONTROL IN THE COMPUTER AGE/ RECORDS COMPUTERS AND THE RIGHTS OF CITIZENS. Easton, Allan; Hollander Jr., Sidney // Journal of Marketing Research (JMR);Aug1975, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p372
The article reviews several books including "Databanks in a Free Society: Computers, Record-Keeping and Privacy," by Alan F. Westin and Michael A. Baker, "Private Lives and Public Surveillance: Social Control in the Computer Age," by James B. Rule, and "Records Computers and the Rights of Citizens."
- You and Your Data Shadow. // Journal of Financial Planning;Apr2003, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p22
Reports on the coinage of the term 'data shadow' by retired professor Alan Westin. Concept of combining different types of records that could elicit additional information that could track the life of the individual; Issues of consumer privacy.
- Milestones. // Time;3/11/2013, Vol. 181 Issue 9, p15
The article presents news briefs involving celebrities and public figures as of March 11, 2013 which include the death of the British television executive Denis Forman, the unveiling of a statue of the civil rights activist Rosa Parks at the U.S. Capitol building, and the death of the lawyer...
- The Trial of Martin Luther King (Book Review). Lewis, David // American Historical Review;Apr76, Vol. 81 Issue 2, p469
Reviews the book 'The Trail of Martin Luther King,' by Alan F. Westin and Barry Mahoney.
- Electronic Marvels Spurned. // njbiz;2/4/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p10
The author reflects on the advantages and disadvantages of electronic devices. Based on a 2008 survey, he cites smartphones as the most returned electronic gift in the holiday season, with the difficulty in the set-up process as the given reason. The survey on the other hand, the author thinks...
- AN AIRPORT E-ZPASS? Marek, Angie C. // U.S. News & World Report;11/27/2006, Vol. 141 Issue 20, p32
The article discusses streamlining passage through airport security with a Registered Traveler program. The program is to be run by private companies in a partnership with the Transportation Security Administration and aims to someday speed travelers through fast-lane security screening at many...