EDITOR'S QUIZ: GI SNAPSHOT: Answer
- Acute liver failure in a patient with lung cancer. Jamil, K. M.; Van Hagan, T.; Trotter, J.; Cheng, W.; Kontorinis, N. // Gut;Sep2007, Vol. 56 Issue 9, p1190
A quiz concerning the acute liver failure in a patient with lung cancer is presented.
- Hepatic necrosis following repair of totally anomalous pulmonary venous connection. Fischer, Abigail; Long, Fredrick; Feltes, Timothy F. // Cardiology in the Young;Aug2007, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p435
We report a case of an infant with asplenia syndrome, isomerism of the right atrial appendages, and totally anomalous pulmonary venous connection who experienced hepatic failure following surgical correction of the anomalous pulmonary venous connection. We describe associated anomalies of the...
- Profound Hypocalcemia in Fulminant Hepatic Failure. Oswiecimski, Paul; Khan, Abdul; Salwan, Rajesh; Marshall, Roland; Berkelhammer, Charles // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Mar2000, Vol. 95 Issue 3, p824
Discusses profound hypocalcemia in fulminant hepatic failure. Information on the case of a 71-year-old female smoker who developed profound hypocalcemia complicating fulminant hepatic failure due to small cell carcinoma of the lung; Explanation of fulminant hepatic failure caused by malignancy;...
- Role of artificial liver support in hepatic encephalopathy. G. Wright; R. Jalan // Metabolic Brain Disease;Mar2009, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p15
AbstractÂ Â Hepatic encephalopathy (HE) refers to the reversible neuropsychiatric disorders observed in acute liver failure and as a complication of cirrhosis and/or portal hypertension. This review aims to describe the pathophysiology of HE, the rationale for the use of artificial liver...
- Where There's Smoke. Dixon, Bernard // Sciences;Mar81, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p29
Focuses on the health aspect of smoking in Great Britain. Relation between smoking and lung cancer; Assessment on validity of scientific evidence on effect of smoking; Association between cigarette smoking and coronary heart disease.
- Smoking: Free Choice. Dwyer, William F. // Business Horizons;Jun78, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p52
Reports the statistical association between smoking and the increase of lung cancer, heart disease and emphysema. Establishment of proof for a causal relationship in an association; Expansion on the attack of cigarettes; Ways of protecting public health.
- Vitamin supplements do not reduce incidence of cancer or heart disease. Josefson, Deborah // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);7/12/2003, Vol. 327 Issue 7406, p70
Reports on findings of a medical study which indicated that vitamin supplements do not reduce the incident of cancer or heart disease. How beta-carotene may do more harm in patients with lung cancer.
- Cholestatic hepatic injury due to a thyroid storm: a case report from a resource limited setting. Kibirige, Davis; Sekikubo Kiggundu, Daniel; Sanya, Richard; Mutebi, Edrisa // Thyroid Research;2012, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p6
Introduction: Thyroid storm is an endocrinological emergency caused by an exacerbation of the hyperthyroid state and is characterized by multi organ dysfunction. Liver dysfunction or injury predominantly of a cholestatic type is one of the atypical manifestations of thyroid storm and has been...
- A model program for hepatitis B vaccination and education of schoolchildren in rural China. Chen, Jonathan; Chang, Ellen; Chen, Yi-Ren; Bailey, Meredith; So, Samuel // International Journal of Public Health;Jun2012, Vol. 57 Issue 3, p581
Objectives: Incomplete hepatitis B virus (HBV) vaccine coverage and poor HBV-related knowledge in China leave millions of children unprotected from this life-threatening infection. To address these gaps, a pilot program for HBV education and vaccination was launched in rural China. Methods: In...