Smoking ban's remote impact
- Quit smoking advice from health professionals in Taiwan: the role of funding policy and smoker socioeconomic status. // Tobacco Control;Feb2010, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p44
The article presents a study which compared and analyzed the annual prevalence rate of receiving advice to quit smoking from health professionals in Taiwan before and after the increase in funding and the withdrawal of additional funding. Data from the 2004 to 2007 Taiwan Adult Tobacco Survey...
- You Chose--How Cool Is Cool? // Winner;Sep2001, Vol. 45 Issue 1, p12
Presents information on the hazards of smoking cigarettes in the United States.
- No smoking out here. This is a park. Scherer, Ron // Christian Science Monitor;6/15/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 141, p1
Focuses on efforts of anti-smoking groups in the United States to limit smoking in public outdoor areas. View of American Nonsmokers' Rights Foundation that communities are looking at regulating smoking where people congregate; Views of cigarette companies that outdoor bans go too far.
- Taking a Stand Against Tobacco. Holmes, Tamara E. // Black Enterprise;Oct2011, Vol. 42 Issue 3, p96
The article highlights the background of anti-smoking activist Chad Bullock of Durham, North Carolina and HelloCHANGE.org, an organization that he founded that mobilizes people under 25 years old to say no to smoking. With the 100,000 dollar prize from DoSomething.org, HelloCHANGE.org mobilized...
- Great American Smokeout Nov. 17. // Gay & Lesbian Times;11/10/2005, Issue 933, p20
Reports on the 29th annual American Cancer Society Great American Smokeout in the U.S. Encouragement by the society for smokers to quit smoking; Potential risks of cancer due to tobacco smoking; Outline of health improvements after giving up smoking.
- No Smoke without Fire. // Management Services;Feb1986, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p5
In this article the author expresses his views about smoking. He remembers the reports from Norway when a woman driver ran into a bus queue as a result of losing control, first, of the cigarette she was lighting and then of the car she was driving. Soon afterwards a new law was passed which...
- "I'LL HAVE LUNG CANCER, PLEASE". // Dolly;Oct2007, Issue 444, p84
The article presents readers' comments about the gory anti-smoking advertisements on television. Most readers find the ads disgusting. Others find them gross, but say the ads do not work, as people are still smoking. One reader observes that smokers do not pay much attention to the photos or TV...
- Prevalence of smoking among medical students and their perception of the risk of passive smoking and the antismoking role of health professionals in a new Medical College. Saeed, Abdalla Abdelwahid; Al-Kabbaa, Abdulaziz F.; Abdalla, Abdulshakur M.; Ahmed, Hashim Hassan; Mustafa, Ali Ahmed // Middle East Journal of Family Medicine;Aug2012, Vol. 10 Issue 7, p4
Objectives: To assess the prevalence of smoking among medical students, their perceptions of health professionals antismoking role and risk of passive smoking Subjects and Methods: Cross-sectional study using anonymous, self-administered questionnaire among all students enrolled in the second...
- Attitudes towards smoking policies and tobacco control measures in relation to smoking status and smoking behaviour. Schumann, Anja; John, Ulrich; Thyrian, J. René; Ulbricht, Sabina; Hapke, Ulfert; Meyer, Christian // European Journal of Public Health;Oct2006, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p513
Background: To examine support for various smoking policies and tobacco control measures among lifetime smokers in a country with weak anti-smoking legislation and an underdeveloped anti-smoking climate. Methods: Current (n = 624) and former smokers (n = 131) from a general population survey...