The moving target of gun control
- Gunning for Change. Gibeaut, John // ABA Journal;Mar2000, Vol. 86 Issue 3, p48
Reports that municipalities in the United States are taking aim at gun manufacturers in lawsuits based on public nuisance theories. Details on the Ceriale versus Smith & Wesson Corp. case; Theory of public nuisance; Stance of gun control proponents on the case; Information on several gun...
- Buckley on Gun Control. Buckley Jr., William F. // Cortlandt Forum;03/25/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p247
Focuses on the issue of gun control in South Carolina. Rights of the citizens to secede from the government; Psychological comfort against marauders.
- Gun Control Still Is Not Thug Control. West, Woody // Insight on the News;01/24/2000, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p48
Denounces gun control in the United States (US) as well as the lawsuits of US states against firearms manufacturers. Real intent of the campaign against firearms; Problem with a federal settlement with the firearms industry; Template for the ultimate solution against guns as seen in Canada.
- Opposition arms to fight easy access to guns. Finn, Kathy // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);07/03/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p25
Focuses on the gun control efforts in New Orleans, Louisiana. Filing by cities nationwide of petitions taking up legal arms against the gun industry; Allegation that gun makers contribute to human carnage through manufacturing and distribution practices; Agreement with Smith & Wesson to make it...
- Concealed carry. // State Government News;Oct99, Vol. 42 Issue 8, p6
Reveals that several states across the United States allow their residents to carry concealed weapons with a permit. Overview of a report from the September 1, 1999 issue of `The Christian Science Monitor.'
- Can Cities Sue Gun Makers? Anders, Kelly // State Legislatures;May99, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p29
Focuses on the litigation of gun manufacturers by cities in the United States. Claims on safety hazard and violence; Remarks from gun manufacturers; Status of legislators on gun manufacturing.
- Taking aim on gun manufacturers. Wojcik, Joanne // Business Insurance;6/20/94, Vol. 28 Issue 25, p1
Reports on the plan of the Law School Coalition to Combat Gun Violence to file product liability lawsuits against gun manufacturers and distributors in behalf of gun victims. Allegation of sale of unreasonable dangerous products; Failure of similar legal action in the past; Restriction of sale...
- Response to fear. // Canada & the World Backgrounder;Sep96, Vol. 62 Issue 1, p23
Focuses on gun ownership in the United States. Illegal ownership of guns in various cities; Public's desire for gun control laws; Influence of illicit drug trade on gun ownership; Revenues from gun sales. INSET: Legal shootout..
- The Great Gun Debate. Smith, Todd W. // Outdoor Life;Oct2000, Vol. 206 Issue 3, p8
Deals with the debate over gun control in the United States in 2000. Reasons for the gun control debate; Threat posed by the gun control issue to law-abiding sportsmen.