The moving target of gun control
- Gunning for Change. Gibeaut, John // ABA Journal;Mar2000, Vol. 86 Issue 3, p48
Reports that municipalities in the United States are taking aim at gun manufacturers in lawsuits based on public nuisance theories. Details on the Ceriale versus Smith & Wesson Corp. case; Theory of public nuisance; Stance of gun control proponents on the case; Information on several gun...
- Buckley on Gun Control. Buckley Jr., William F. // Cortlandt Forum;03/25/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p247
Focuses on the issue of gun control in South Carolina. Rights of the citizens to secede from the government; Psychological comfort against marauders.
- Trigger-happy South Africa aims to curb a love of guns. O'Loughlin, Ed // Christian Science Monitor;12/23/97, Vol. 90 Issue 20, p1
Reports on gun ownership in South Africa. The number of South Africans killed annually by guns; Number of South Africans licensed to carry a gun; The belief by police that every legal gun has an illegal counterpart; Crimes that guns were involved in during 1997; Theft of firearms; The status of...
- Gun Control Still Is Not Thug Control. West, Woody // Insight on the News;01/24/2000, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p48
Denounces gun control in the United States (US) as well as the lawsuits of US states against firearms manufacturers. Real intent of the campaign against firearms; Problem with a federal settlement with the firearms industry; Template for the ultimate solution against guns as seen in Canada.
- Availability of Guns Is Not the Cause of Youth Violence. Lott Jr., John R. // Insight on the News;07/24/2000, Vol. 16 Issue 27, p46
Comments on gun control issues in the United States. Background of the restriction on the availability of guns; Examples of federal gun control; Discussion on whether whose access really has been restricted by these laws; Dilemma facing gun-control advocates.
- Opposition arms to fight easy access to guns. Finn, Kathy // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);07/03/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p25
Focuses on the gun control efforts in New Orleans, Louisiana. Filing by cities nationwide of petitions taking up legal arms against the gun industry; Allegation that gun makers contribute to human carnage through manufacturing and distribution practices; Agreement with Smith & Wesson to make it...
- Concealed carry. // State Government News;Oct99, Vol. 42 Issue 8, p6
Reveals that several states across the United States allow their residents to carry concealed weapons with a permit. Overview of a report from the September 1, 1999 issue of `The Christian Science Monitor.'
- Can Cities Sue Gun Makers? Anders, Kelly // State Legislatures;May99, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p29
Focuses on the litigation of gun manufacturers by cities in the United States. Claims on safety hazard and violence; Remarks from gun manufacturers; Status of legislators on gun manufacturing.
- A fine, failed compromise. Barrett, Suzanne Tomosy // Masthead;Summer99, Vol. 51 Issue 2, p10
Discusses an editorial on a safe gun storage bill that is being proposed in Washington State. Position of the National Rifle Association; Senators that sponsored the bill; Provisions to gun owners.