INDEPENDENT RETAILER WATCH: The Last Word on Harry Potter
- Muggles mob bookstores. Zeitchik, Steven // Daily Variety;7/23/2007, Vol. 295 Issue 78, p1
The article reports that the book "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," by J.K. Rowling, has grabbed the spotlight over movies and video games. A reported 8.3 million copies were sold in its first 24 hours of release in the U.S. Since publishers sell books to wholesalers and retailers for a...
- Book-Galleries and Book-Shops. Wilson, Edmund // New Republic;8/4/26, Vol. 47 Issue 609, p310
Focuses on Brentano's book store in New York City. Difference from the uptown book stores like Scribner's and Dutton's; Suggestion that it remained an old-fashioned bookstore; Emergence of book galleries which sells rare books.
- NEIBA Looks Forward. Rosen, Judith // Publishers Weekly;12/11/2006, Vol. 253 Issue 49, p28
The article reports that the New England Independent Booksellers Association is positioning itself to move forward into a bookselling future. Allan Schmid, owner of Books Etc. in Portland and Falmouth, Maine, is hopeful that growing awareness among consumers about the importance of shopping...
- Bookstore Sales Rise 1%. // Publishers Weekly;2/18/2008, Vol. 255 Issue 7, p9
The article reports on the sales increase experienced by bookstores in the U.S. in 2007. The roller-coaster ride the bookselling segment has been on in recent years continued into 2007, with preliminary estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau showing that bookstore sales increased 1.1% last year,...
- Booksellers Help harry Potter. Rosen, Judith // Publishers Weekly;5/12/2003, Vol. 250 Issue 19, p26
Presents an update on the publishing of the 'Harry Potter' book series in the U.S. as of May 2003. Donation of part of the proceeds of 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,' from booksellers to help the American Booksellers Foundation for Free Expression; Lawsuit filed by Billy Ray Counts...
- Switching Gears. Lorinc, John // Quill & Quire;Jun96, Vol. 62 Issue 6, p12
Reports developments related to bookselling industries in Canada as of June 2002. Total sales of Food for Thought bookstore; Launch of a Chapter branch in Sussex Drive and Rideau Street; Market study of Boston Consulting Group on Canadian book retailers.
- Mercer's "Bucket List" of Bookstores. // World Literature Today;Sep/Oct2008, Vol. 82 Issue 5, p50
The article provides a list of independent bookstores across the world.
- Reaching the e-Teen. SPRINGEN, KAREN // Publishers Weekly;2/21/2011, Vol. 258 Issue 8, p21
This article discusses the upward trend in sales of electronic books in the U.S. in 2011. It attributes the trend to growing interest of teenagers in reading electronic books. It expects publishers to release digital formats of popular books, such as the Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling. The...
- Robust holiday sales help independent bookstores. Haley, Andrew // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;1/11/2010, Vol. 39 Issue 31, p1
The article reports on an offset to the declining revenues of independent booksellers in Salt Lake City, Utah with the increased sales during the holiday season. Catherine Weller, co-owner of Sam Weller's Zion Bookstore, says that the Internet and electronic readers (e-readers) have impacted...