'Planet' Set Spinning
- Ready for digital cable TV? Burgi, Michael // MediaWeek;9/16/96, Vol. 6 Issue 35, p8
Reports on major multiple system cable operators' preparation to roll out the first digital set-top cable boxes to subscribers in October 1996. Launching of digital-only cable services by Discovery Communications, Arts & Entertainment and ESPN; Digital 24-hour Discovery services.
- Hooked Up. // Broadcasting & Cable;11/23/98, Vol. 128 Issue 48, p38
Presents news briefs on cable television industry. Completion of agreements to acquire broadcast premier rights to 12 major films from Fox, Buena Vista, Columbia Tri-Star and Universal Studios by FX; Division launched by Discovery Communications Inc.; Nine original programs slated by Fit TV.
- CBS' Eye on People, rainbow realign ad sales strategies. Cooper, Jim // MediaWeek;10/26/98, Vol. 8 Issue 40, p6
Cites the realignment of advertising sales operations at several cable networks in the United States. Discovery Networks' agreement to take over ad sales for CBS' Eye on People network; Assignment of separate sales teams at Bravo and MuchMusic.
- IN BRIEF. // Broadcasting & Cable;4/15/2002, Vol. 132 Issue 16, p10
Presents developments on television broadcasting as of April 2002 in the U.S. Commitment of MSNBS cable television news channel to serve the public fairly; Decision of Discovery Networks Inc. to remove production credits on many shows in the cable networks owned by the company; Offer of the...
- Discovery's deep pockets. Romano, Allison // Broadcasting & Cable;4/15/2002, Vol. 132 Issue 16, p19
Reports the decision of Discovery Communications Inc. to spend more for the programs of the television networks owned by the company in the U.S. Share given to the Discovery Channel; Interest of advertisers on cable networks with controversial programming; Programs to be introduced in the network.
- The Cablers. // Variety;02/21/2000, Vol. 378 Issue 1, p30
Presents news briefs on cable television networks in the United States as of February 21, 2000. Plan of Discovery Communications and cable operator companies to create a women's professional soccer league; Nickelodeon's television series on Hispanic culture; Resignation of Oxygen Media executives.
- Discovery Health to get $350M injection. Petrozzello, Donna // Broadcasting & Cable;12/21/98, Vol. 128 Issue 52, p10
Focuses on the agreement of Discovery Communications Inc.'s (DCI) shareholders to change their digital Discovery Health Channel into a fully-distributed analog channel. Terms of agreement; Expectations of DCI from its plan; Inclusions of the incentives upon the launching of the plan.
- Discovery bulks up with Knowledge. Dempsey, John // Variety;06/21/99, Vol. 375 Issue 6, p25
Reports that Discovery Communications has added Knowledge TV to its cable network portfolio in 1999. Owner of Knowledge TV who sold the cable operation; Number of subscribers of Knowledge TV; Remarks from Bill Goodwyn, senior vice president of affiliate sales and marketing for Discovery.
- Discovery channels into China. Hettrick, Scott // Hollywood Reporter;5/3/95, Vol. 337 Issue 5, p7
Reports on Discovery Communications Inc.'s exchange programming with Chinese Central Television (CCTV). Creation of a `China Season' of global programming; Documentary `The Forbidden City: The Great Within' to debut in November 1995; New programming schedule of Discovery Channel.