Training for the Future
- Correctional Chieftain. Weisberg, Karen // FoodService Director;10/15/2007, Vol. 20 Issue 10, p31
This article features Louise Mathews, the retired chief of foodservices for the San Diego County Sheriff's Department. Upon retirement, the county named June 22, 2007, Louise E. Mathews Day. There also was a proclamation from the California State Legislature, and she received the Medal of...
- Rising food costs put prisons under the gun. // FoodService Director;1/15/2005, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p11
Reports that correctional food service operators in the U.S. are being pressured to reduce food costs while maintaining quality and avoiding riots. Number of meals produced by the operators for the San Diego County Sheriff's Office (SDCSO) in California; Benefits from the safety and sanitation...
- Doing time on the production line. Robinson, Simon // Time International (South Pacific Edition);01/27/97, Issue 4, p37
Presents the concept being used in New Zealand of giving jobs to prisoners serving time for crimes. Plan to teach inmates real job skills during incarceration; Compensation of victims and their families with prisoner's earnings; Use of prisoners' profits to maintain day-to-day running of jails.
- Inside Track. Zack, Jessica Werner // Runner's World;Feb2007, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p25
The article highlights the San Quentin 1,000-Mile Club, a group of inmates at the San Quentin prison facility (California) who run together regularly around the recreation yard, a program launched by prison educator Laura Bowman.
- CAN'T SELL BUT CAN HELP: Sheriffs Dept. cook-chill bails-out local M-O-W. Weisberg, Karen // FoodService Director;11/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 11, p30
Focuses on the partnership between Meals on Wheels organization and the San Diego County Sheriffs Office concerning cook-chill food service for correctional facilities. Amount saved from the cook-chill production center; Remarks from chief Louise Mathews on the service; Use of biodegradable...
- Food service certification Bierma, Thomas; Kneller, Phillip // Journal of Environmental Health;Mar/Apr1990, Vol. 52 Issue 5, p292
No abstract available.
- VOCATIONAL JANITORIAL TRAINING & The Progressive Reintegration Opportunity Unit. Twilleger, Randy; Canterbury, Jerry E. // Corrections Today;Dec2000, Vol. 62 Issue 7, p140
Provides information on the Vocational Janitorial Training Program for prisoners at the Colorado State Penitentiary. Aim of the program; Benefits of the vocational janitorial program to prisoners; Curriculum of the program; Certification levels.
- Food and Inmate Labor. // American Jails;Nov/Dec2010, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p78
The article focuses on the practice of inmate labor to improve the operations of the jail facilities in the U.S. The prisoners go through training in order to qualify of becoming a contracted worker in the food service and farms. The food is being used as an incentive for the inmate workers as...
- Custodial Training For Inmates. Baunee, Aaron // Cleaning & Maintenance Management;Apr2010, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p48
The article focuses on the custodial services training at Berkshire County Jail & House of Correction in Massachusetts which is given to inmates to provide them employment skills. It states that the Basic Level Custodial Technician training is a 55-hour course over a period of seven weeks...