Physical activities for disabled children
- Providing Disability Sport Opportunities in Adapted Physical Education. Megginson, Nancy L.; Lavay, Barry W. // Palaestra;Spring2001, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p20
Provides recommendations for developing disability sport competence in school-based education programs or professional training programs of university professors and practitioners in the United States. Definition of disability sport; Features of the Disability Sport Competence Scale; How...
- Terminology Usage: A Case for Clarity. Porretta, David L.; Nesbitt, John; Labanowich, Stan // Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly;Apr1993, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p87
This article addresses the issue of terminology by discussing the terms adapted physical education, adapted physical recreation, adapted sport, and adapted physical activity. Reasons are presented which suggest that these terms, taken collectively, may best describe movement of a gross motor...
- Calendar. // Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly;Apr2009, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p194
Information on several conferences related to adapted physical activity is presented. The International Society of Adapted Physical Activity 2009 Conference will be held on June 23-27, 2009 in Gï¿½lve, Sweden. The National Consortium for Physical Education and Recreation for Individuals with...
- ALABAMA JOINS SPORTS VANGUARD. // Sports 'n Spokes Magazine;Nov2006, Vol. 32 Issue 6, p41
This article presents information about the Alabama High School Athletic Association's partnership with Atlanta-based American Association of AdaptedSPORTS Programs (AAASP) which will lay the groundwork for athletic programs for students with physical disabilities in the Alabama school system....
- Kinematic analysis as a part of objective method of functional classification in disability swimming - Pilot studies. Dziuba, Alicja K.; Kolodziej, Agata; Zurowska, Anna // Baltic Journal of Health & Physical Activity;2013, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p176
Background: A new functional classification system (FCS) of disability swimming is based only on functional abilities in water. The aim of this research was to evaluate the possibility of kinematic analysis to supplement the FCS. Material/Methods: The investigations were carried out during the...
- Bits & Pieces. Evans, Elizabeth // Palaestra;Summer2003, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p50
Presents news briefs on handicapped athletes and adapted physical education as of Summer 2003. Members of the U.S. Disabled Sailing Team; Sport learned by students at Lakeside School special needs high school in Orange, New Jersey; Award given by the U.S. department of Veterans Affairs to Rory...
- Hong Kong Academy for Gifted Education representatives visit HKSI. // Sports Bulletin;Oct2011, Vol. 10, p7
Two photographs of several Hong Kong Academy for Gifted Education representatives in China and Hong Kong Sports Institute (HKSI) executives during a visit at HKSI on September 16, 2011 are presented.
- Physical Education and Sports for People with Visual Impairments and Deafblindness: Foundations of Instruction. Leader, Patricia L. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Mar/Apr2013, Vol. 107 Issue 2, p157
The article reviews the book "Physical Education and Sports for People with Visual Impairments and Deafblindness: Foundations of Instruction," by Lauren L. Lieberman, Paul E. Ponchillia, and Susan V. Ponchillia.
- Basketball Clinic. // Palaestra;Summer 2001, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p50
Reports on the first co-ed basketball clinic held by the United States Cerebral Palsy Athletic Association for players with cerebral palsy who are ambulatory and do not use assistive devices. Scope of the basketball clinic; Participation eligibility.