New Deal for disabled people
- A glass of wine and a slice of cheesecake. Powell, Joe // Learning Disability Today;Oct2008, Vol. 8 Issue 6, p30
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience with person-centered planning.
- The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. // American Rehabilitation;Summer90, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p2
Summarizes who is covered by the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and what protections are offered in the areas of employment, public accommodations, public transportation, services and telecommunications; Definition of people with disabilities; Interpretation of the...
- Organizational Commitment: The key to succesful... Akabas, Sheila H.; Gates, Lauren B. // American Rehabilitation;Autumn90, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p9
Focuses on aspects of an organization that affect successful implementation of a disability management program. Purpose of the disability management program; Model for understanding the role of the organization in disability management; Organizational factors that promote or constrain...
- Mutual help groups and the rehabilitation process. Holmes, Gary E.; Karst, Ronald H. // American Rehabilitation;Autumn90, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p19
Examines some of the benefits people with disabilities gain through active participation in mutual help groups. Mutual help groups defined; Ways in which rehabilitation professional can work with mutual help groups on behalf of the individual clients; Mutual help organized to improve the...
- Bringing the rehabilitation family together: An IL-VR partnership. Montagano, Tim // American Rehabilitation;Spring94, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p35
Focuses on a seminar which looked at the interdependence between particular vocational rehabilitation (VR) agencies and independent living (IL) centers and programs. List of six IL problems that frequently sabotage vocational plan development; Discussion of an action plan for achieving a...
- Independent Living Fund rejects majority of claims. // Community Care;6/24/2010, Issue 1824, p4
The article reports that Great Britain's Independent Living Fund (ILF) has rejected funds for severely disabled people due to shortage of money.
- Dinner raises $140,000 for National Center. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);1/15/96, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p45
Reports that the Reach for a Star Dinner Dance raised more than $140,000 for the National Center for Disability Services. Barbara Gannon as Woman of the Year; Clara Carucci and Maric Giffuni as co-chairwomen of the event.
- Barriers ahead. ADAMS, MICHAEL; VAN HOUTEN, BEN // Restaurant Business;01/15/99, Vol. 98 Issue 2, p38
Focuses on the changes in the American With Disabilities Act (ADA). Effect of the changes for restaurant operators; Information on the Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board; Components of ADA; Aspects of ADA that could create problems for operators.
- Agency news. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Sep/Oct97 Part 2 of 2, Vol. 91 Issue 5, p37
Presents information on organizations for handicapped people. Products offered by the Our-Co Industries, a division of the New Jersey Association of the Deaf-Blind Inc.; Information offered by the web site of the Delco Blind/Sight Center in Chester, Pennsylvania.