House finally passes Ohio's proposal of one-cent sales tax for schools
- Tax Hike Opponents Arise. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;8/2/2011, Vol. 377 Issue 33558, p7
The article focuses on the creation of a political action committee group comprising of several residents from Little Rock, Arkansas named as 500 Million Dollars Tax-Too Much aimed at opposing Mayor Mark Stodola's proposal to raise the city's sales tax rate by 1% to fund capital projects.
- Illinois' tax could be N.H.'s gain. Barry, Curtis J. // New Hampshire Business Review;5/20/2011, Vol. 33 Issue 10, p19
The article focuses on the issue regarding sales tax policies in New Hampshire, in which it mentions that Illinois is not alone in passing the legislation as five other states have enacted laws requiring out-of-state retailers to collect sales taxes if they have online affiliates in the state.
- Hidden tax, open chaos. Jenkinson, Michael // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;2/10/97, Vol. 24 Issue 9, p9
Discusses the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) scheduled to take effect April 1, 1997 in Canada. Bill C-70's legislative status; Reaction from various national retailers; Threats made by Carlton Cards Ltd. and Woolworth Canada Inc. in regards to HST; Views of the Canadian Tax Foundation; Discussion...
- Half-cent tax didn't stand a chance. Cross, Cheri // Inside Tucson Business;03/24/97, Vol. 6 Issue 52, p4
Comments on the unsuccessful attempt of the United States House to implement a half-cent sales tax. Sales tax adjustments; Plans for the sales tax implementation; Benefits of the plans to the advancement of educational facilities; Beliefs concerning the Groscost-Keegan plan.
- Water, please. // Business Press;10/27/97 Supplement Business Voice, Vol. 14 Issue 43, p19
Presents a survey on the views of persons on the proposed 1/4-of-a-penny sales tax increases for water system improvements. What are the suggested solutions.
- TX: Affiliate Nexus Legislation. // GPP eNews;4/22/2011, p5
This article reports on the introduction of a bill in Texas that would require remote sellers to collect sales tax if they are affiliated with an entity in the state.
- New report foresees lower offset if NYC apparel sales tax repealed. Wilson, Eric; Morrow, Elizabeth // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;6/27/1997, Vol. 173 Issue 121, p2
Details the New York City's Independent Budget Office's (IBO) issuance of report which supports the elimination of sales tax in apparel. Contradiction of the IBO's report with the one issued by the New York City Economic Development Corp.; Purpose of the report according to IBO officials;...
- The idea of a national sales tax is not as good as you think. Sparacio, A. George // Northern New Jersey Business;5/31/95, Vol. 3 Issue 11, p47
Argues against the proposed national sales tax in the United States. Impact of sales tax on consumer spending; Assertion that the middle class will bear most of the tax burden; Increase in the needed number of tax collectors; Example of the effect of the proposal on a middle class taxpayer.
- Georgia approves new law to collect Internet sales taxes. // American City & County;Apr2012, Vol. 127 Issue 4, p13
The article reports on a law passed in Georgia that requires online retailers to collect sales taxes and remit them to the state.