Making It Real
- MATERIALS PROGRESS: FORMING/PROCESSING. // Advanced Materials & Processes;Jun2001, Vol. 159 Issue 6, p20
Provides information on several manufacturing process developed in the United States as of June 2001. Investments to the program which will re-engineer metal forging processes and supply chains for the benefit of the Defense Logistics Agency; Details on the vacuum-assisted resin transfer molding...
- DMD Conformal Mold Cooling Lines Offer Reduced Part Production Cycle Times. // Moldmaking Technology Magazine;Feb2008, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p20
The article provides information on the new manufacturing technology for cooling molds. The new technology addresses major challenges in injection molding including part warpage, straight gun drilled cooling inefficiencies and the use of high cost exotic materials for challenging areas. This...
- If We Don't Tell Our Story, Who Will? Barnhard, Dwight // Modern Casting;Jul2012, p39
The article presents the author's view on how metalcasting role affects the modern life. It states that elected officials and educators has no interest in this kind of jobs due to its images that comes to their mind, that it is a shuttered and rusting factories. It notes that only those people...
- Laser speeds tool-building. Wilson, Amy // Automotive News;8/5/2002, Vol. 76 Issue 5996, p4
Reports the use of laser-guided technology by POM Group Inc. to build production tooling in Auburn Hills, Michigan. Potential to reduce time and costs for tool-building process; Growth of customer list; Goal of automakers and suppliers.
- Castings Go Classical. // Modern Casting;Dec2014, Vol. 104 Issue 12, p30
The article talks about the role of castings in musical instruments. Included in the article are the cast blanks of cymbals that produce its fine tune and strength, diecast aluminum components in drums that produce sound when struck, and the iron's strength that creates tone and consistency in...
- Five-Axis Myths. Cope, Michael // Moldmaking Technology Magazine;May2014, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p28
The article discusses the most common myths of five-axis machining which prevent moldmakers from taking advantage of its potential. It suggests the importance for moldmakers to understand the difference between full five-axis and five-sided machining to determine the true potential of five-axis...
- Cost Savings, Environmental Impact Recommend New Diecasting Alloy. // Foundry Management & Technology;Mar2006, Vol. 134 Issue 3, p57
The article focuses on the trend of development of die casting. Advances in die casting have caught the attention of many users and die casters with challenges that often can only be mastered through cooperation with alloy manufacturers. In addition to continuous improvement of die casting, it...
- Alloy Compositions for Semisolid Forming. Kazakov, Alexander A. // Advanced Materials & Processes;Mar2000, Vol. 157 Issue 3, p31
Provides information on semi-solid forming (SSF) method. Advantages of SSF technology over conventional casting procedures; Information on the parameters that are important in realizing SSF technology; Details on the thermodynamic effects of SSF.
- GAS-ASSIST MOLDING: Not just for hollow parts. // Machine Design;8/9/2001, Vol. 73 Issue 15, p70
Discusses the perceived versatility of gas-assist molding techniques. Description of the gas-assist process; Categories and design strategies for parts made by gas-assist techniques. INSET: Here comes water-assist molding.