Disaster Volunteering Builds Companywide Spririt
- Floyd Takes Atlantic Coast by Storm. Gardner, Tracey // Scholastic News -- Edition 4;10/18/99, Vol. 62 Issue 6, p6
Provides information on the effect of hurricane Floyd on schools and homes in the United States in 1999.
- This time, seaboard stood ready. Richey, Warren // Christian Science Monitor;9/16/99, Vol. 91 Issue 204, p1
Reports on the preparation of United States citizens on the East Coast for Hurricane Floyd in September 1999.
- How puffy clouds became a monster hurricane. Salkever, Alex // Christian Science Monitor;9/16/99, Vol. 91 Issue 204, p5
Discusses the origins of Hurricane Floyd and what makes the storm unique.
- Aftermath of Floyd: a flood of heroism. Thurman, James N. // Christian Science Monitor;9/27/99, Vol. 91 Issue 211, p1
Focuses on the heroic actions of police Captain Jeff Stewart in a rescue of a family from the flood waters caused by Hurricane Floyd.
- Damage tally from Floyd rises, as farms remain submerged. // Christian Science Monitor;9/21/99, Vol. 91 Issue 207, p2
Reports on the damage to the United States from hurricane Floyd in the fall of 1999.
- Historic Black North Carolina Town Severely Hit By Hurricane Floyd. // Jet;10/11/99, Vol. 96 Issue 19, p13
Focuses on the extensive damage to Princeville, North Carolina, a town which was founded by freed slaves at the end of the Civil war, from Hurricane Floyd.
- The Floyd Fiasco. Bovard, James // American Spectator;Nov99, Vol. 32 Issue 11, p64
Discusses the Hurricane Floyd that hit the United States (US) in 1999. Declaration of federal emergencies in several states; Information on destruction caused by Hurricane Hugo in 1989; Urge of US President Clinton for the people to take advantage of the federal aid elixir.
- 'i Survived a Hurricane'. Vines, Kaleatha; Kashner, Zoe // Scholastic Scope;11/27/2000, Vol. 49 Issue 7, p13
Presents a true story about a girl, named Kaleatha Vines, who survived Hurricane Floyd in Tarboro, North Carolina. Accounts of the evacuation to Tarboro High; Emotions toward the presumed loss of bestfriend Maquita Heath; Reactions to the destructions of the home.
- Hurricane Floyd Brings out Best in Retailers. Gentry, Connie Robbins // Chain Store Age;Nov99, Vol. 75 Issue 11, p158
Points out the lessons taught by the 1999 Hurricane Floyd to the retail industry in the United States. Damages caused by Floyd; Donations of retailers to help hurricane-damaged areas; Challenges of maintaining the momentum of support through recovery and reconstruction.