Reality Doesn't Have a Job Description
- The Effects of Human Capital and Job Characteristics on Pay. Schumann, Paul L.; Ahlburg, Dennis A.; Mahoney, Christine Brown // Journal of Human Resources;Spring94, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p481
This paper examines the influence of both the worker characteristics and job characteristics on pay. Data were collected specifically for this purpose. We find that both worker characteristics and job characteristics are important determinants of pay. In addition we find that females hold jobs...
- Training Is a Key to Utility Workforce Retention. Levitt, Eileen // American Gas;Aug/Sep2006, Vol. 88 Issue 7, p18
The article discusses the importance of workforce training on retention of natural gas industry workers in the U.S. About 50 percent of current American utility workers are expected to retire in 2010, which could potentially lead the industry to labor shortage of 10 million skilled workers by...
- Managing Remote Workers. WOLF, BETTINA // T+D;Jul2014, Vol. 68 Issue 7, p18
The article discusses issues in human resources management as of July 2014, particularly on how to manage remote staff. Based on data from Gallup, remote workers up to 35% of the time work more hours and slightly more engaged. It offers the advice of Erika Tedesco, author of the December 2013...
- Human Resource Management. Ottmann, Pat // Canadian Funeral News;Feb2014, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p3
In this article, the author focuses on several aspects and consequences associated with the shortage of labor force in Canada. He highlights the necessity of better training for people, and also suggest that people should be more focused and engaged with an attitude that sides the boundaries of...
- HR shoulders responsibility for internal communications. // People Management;8/8/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 16, p8
Focuses on survey which revealed that human resources professionals in Great Britain are increasingly taking responsibility for corporate internal communication functions. Attributions to the trend; Implications of the trend; Other key findings.
- Appendix A: Job Description Form. // Managing Human Resources in Small & Mid-Sized Companies;1995, p299
A sample of a job description form that relates to the articles which appeared in the book "Managing Human Resources in Small & Mid-Sized Companies" is presented.
- Finding the best job candidates out there. Broudy, Jayme // Contractor Magazine;Nov2010, Vol. 57 Issue 11, p62
The article offers information on the process to consider when searching for job candidate including a creation of job description and defining the ideal candidates.
- Put it in writing. Mandell, Mel // Network World;07/05/99, Vol. 16 Issue 27, p45
Discusses how detailed job descriptions can prevent staff turnover at corporate network departments. Role that job descriptions play in setting fair compensation levels; Provision of employees with a sense of responsibility; Creation of an opportunity to prioritize certain work-related...
- Job descriptions - a tool that's actually useful. WEST, DELISLE // New Hampshire Business Review;8/8/2014, Vol. 35 Issue 16, p17
The article provides an answer to a question about the importance of job descriptions.