BET's Big Plans: New Networks, More Originals
- THROUGH THE WIRE. Forkan, Jim // Multichannel News;07/10/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 28, p10
Reports on developments pertaining to the cable television industry in the United States, as of July 10, 2000. Turner Classic Movies' unveiling of a sweepstakes honoring rock-and-roll legend Elvis Presley; Black Entertainment Television's cancellation of its Television Critics Association panel...
- HSN, BET brainstorm. // Broadcasting & Cable;11/15/93, Vol. 123 Issue 46, p77
Reports on the agreement between Home Shopping Network (HSN) and Black Entertainment Television (BET) on joint business ventures. Creation of a shop-at-home programming service for BET viewers.
- The Box bows on satellite; BBET bans guns; MVA report. Russell, Deborah // Billboard;9/11/93, Vol. 105 Issue 37, p38
Reports on the commencement of satellite transmissions for the viewer-programmed music video network The Box with a five-minute commissioned track written by Prince. Target audience of The Box; Black Entertainment Television's ban on gun depictions on video for month of September; Results of...
- Showtime. Russell, Deborah // Billboard;7/31/93, Vol. 105 Issue 31, p35
Reports on the series introduced by The Nashville Network. `Music City Tonight'; `Country News'; `Dance Line'; `Video Countdown'; Launching of `Caribbean Sound,' by Black Entertainment Television; Sony Nashville's `Steppin' Country' home videos.
- BET to launch all-jazz channel. Atwood, Brett // Billboard;10/14/95, Vol. 107 Issue 41, p82
Reports on Black Entertainment Television's plan to launch in January 1996 BET on Jazz: The Cable Jazz Channel, a new 24-hour sister cable channel devoted exclusively to jazz. Programming content; BET's existing jazz program `Jazz Central' as the new channel's flagship original show; Types of...
- Johnson Hands BET Reins to Lee. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;6/6/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 23, p52
Reports on the appointment of Debra Lee as the CEO of Black Entertainment Television on June 2, 2005. Career background; Remarks from former Black Entertainment CEO Robert L. Johnson regarding Lee; Plans of Lee for the network.
- Journos flip over CNBC's freebie. Richmond, Ray // Variety;7/15/96, Vol. 363 Issue 10, p5
Reports that cable network CNBC distributed Motorola cellular phones to reporters and critics during the Television Critics Association's 1996 press tour. Television journalists' reactions to the giveaway.
- Newbie Networks Share the Stage at TV Critics' Tour. UMSTEAD, R. THOMAS // Multichannel News;7/29/2013, Vol. 34 Issue 29, p4
The article discusses that two new cable networks Revolt Television (TV) of Revolt Media LLC and Pivot TV, a part of Participant Channel Inc. have joined the U.S. 2013 Television Critics Association's Summer Press Tour to present a preview of upcoming shows.
- Cablers sing synergy. Grego, Melissa // Variety;7/16/2001, Vol. 383 Issue 8, p16
Focuses on the alliances among cable networks during the Television Critics Association Tour in July 2001. Partnership between CNN and CNN Headline News; Program-sharing and scheduling between Cartoon Network and Kids WB; Production deal between CBS News and Black Entertainment Television.