Family Disharmony at Viacom
- Viacom tries out a new heir style. Goldsmith, Jill // Variety;5/30/2005, Vol. 399 Issue 2, p4
Forecasts on the role of Shari Redstone, daughter of Viacom CEO Sumner Redstone, in the media company when Sumner retires. Information on the personality of Shari; Media executives to which the position of chairmanship of the company is predicted to pass; Position title fitted for her profile.
- Redstone: Plan for succession in 'near future'. Bennett, Ray; Taylor, Joel // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;5/25/2004, Vol. 384 Issue 2, p52
Despite continued rumors to the contrary, Viacom Inc. chief Sumner Redstone insisted that he has no strategic disagreements with president and chief operating officer Mel Karmazin and that the company is not planning any major acquisitions. Answering questions at Viacom's annual shareholder...
- The games moguls play. Fritz, Ben // Variety;10/20/2008, Vol. 412 Issue 10, p3
The article discusses the family rivalry created when entertainment mogul Sumner Redstone took over the firm Midway Games Inc. in 2005. Sumner's daughter Shari Redstone, executive of National Amusements Inc. (NAI), complained about the money Midway was losing. In October 2008, NAI sold millions...
- Tycoon's investment plan is battle-tested. Johnsson, Julie // Crain's Chicago Business;9/16/2002, Vol. 25 Issue 37, p6
Focuses on the investment plans of Viacom Inc. chief executive officer Sumner Redstone. Information on the stocks bought by Redstone; Details on the subsidiaries of Viacom; Discussion on the investment abilities of the executive.
- Fort Sumner. Newman, Judith // Vanity Fair;Nov99, Issue 471, p248
Profiles Sumner Redstone, chairman and chief executive officer of Viacom. Roots of Sumner's fortune in the movie theater business; Viacom's purchase of CBS; Author's relation to Redstone; Biographical information; Estimated personal wealth; Support for United States President Bill Clinton;...
- It's good to be Redstone even when profits decline. Elstein, Aaron // Crain's New York Business;12/27/2004, Vol. 20 Issue 52, p40
This article presents information on the financial performance of Viacom Inc. 2003 was a disappointing year for Viacom Inc. Operating income fell by 21% and its stock price underperformed the S&P 500 and that of most other media companies. Nonetheless, Chairman and Chief Executive Sumner...
- Viacom's Big Daddy. Robins, J. Max // Broadcasting & Cable;10/9/2006, Vol. 136 Issue 40, p6
The article examines Viacom Inc. Chairman of the Board Sumner Redstone and his plans for the future of the company. Redstone's appearance on the "Charlie Rose" show in September 2006 after firing chief executive officer Tom Freston and replacing him with Les Moonves is cited. His desire to run...
- A Media Mogul Who Would Love To Be No. 1. Fonda, Daren // Time;12/1/2003, Vol. 162 Issue 22, p74
Discusses Mel Karmazin, president and Chief Operations Officer of Viacom as a possible successor to Viacom CEO, Sumner Redstone. Karmazin's past successes; Viacom's economic health; Karmazin's relationship with Redstone.
- IT'S SHOW AND TELL FOR SHARI. Zeitchik, Steven // Daily Variety;3/30/2006, Vol. 290 Issue 65, p1
The article focuses on the controversy surrounding Shari Redstone's appointment as vice chairwoman at Viacom. In a media interview, Redstone claims that she expects to assume a bigger role in the company including the possibility of taking on strategic or legislative positions. She also reveals...