- VAP prevention: Critical techniques and tools. Pear, Suzanne M. // Healthcare Purchasing News;May2008, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p40
The article discusses how to prevent ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP). According to the author, the best way to prevent VAP is to minimize its usage as much as possible. She suggests that patients should be intubated only when absolutely necessary and patients be removed from mechanical...
- Is pneumococcal vaccine effective in nursing home patients? McCormack, Owen; Meza, James; Martin, Sandra // Journal of Family Practice;Feb2003, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p150
The article examines clinical trials which support the use of pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine for the prevention of pneumonia in nursing home patients. Patients in hospices and nursing homes in France were provided with pneumococcal vaccine and showed an absolute risk reduction in the...
- Managing hyperglycemia in CAP. // Drug Topics;12/12/2005, Vol. 149 Issue 23, pHSE12
The article provides information about managing hyperglycemia in community-acquired pneumonia (CAP). The development of hyperglycemia usually takes after three or four days of treatment and is more common than hypoglycemia. Hyperglycemia mechanism is not clear but is hypothesized as secondary to...
- COPD Increases Risk for Post-Op Pneumonia. // RT: The Journal for Respiratory Care Practitioners;May2010, Vol. 23 Issue 5, p35
The article reports that 15 percent of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) patients developed postoperative pneumonia based on the results of a review published in the "European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery."
- A Shot in the Arm. // Better Homes & Gardens;Nov2006, Vol. 84 Issue 11, p296
The article presents information related to pneumonia vaccine. The injections are safe and effective in preventing pneumonia infections. Around 10,000 people die each year from the pneumonia infections. One can get a pneumonia injection anytime during the year.
- Science and Technology. // New Republic;1/21/46, Vol. 114 Issue 3, p93
Presents information on an influenza vaccine and pneumonia immunization. Description of tests of the influenza vaccine on members of the armed services which show complete immunity; Effectiveness of the vaccine against influenza types A and B, which are the most common in the U.S.; Information...
- Managing ventilator-associated pneumonia. Leeper Jr., Kenneth V. // Materials Management in Health Care;Jan2010, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p27
The article presents questions and answers related to the management of ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) including the method of diagnosis used in VAP, the most definitive techniques used for diagnosing VAP, and the most useful preventive measures in VAP prevention.
- An evaluation of emerging vaccines for childhood pneumococcal pneumonia. Webster, Julia; Theodoratou, Evropi; Nair, Harish; Seong, Ang Choon; Zgaga, Lina; Huda, Tanvir; Johnson, Hope L.; Madhi, Shabir; Rubens, Craig; Zhang, Jian Shayne F.; Arifeen, Shams El; Krause, Ryoko; Jacobs, Troy A.; Brooks, Abdullah W.; Campbell, Harry; Rudan, Igor // BMC Public Health;2011 Supplement 3, Vol. 11 Issue Suppl 3, p1
Background: Pneumonia is the leading cause of child mortality worldwide. Streptococcus pneumoniae (SP) or pneumococcus is estimated to cause 821,000 child deaths each year. It has over 90 serotypes, of which 7 to 13 serotypes are included in current formulations of pneumococcal conjugate...
- Pneumonia. // Pharmaceutical Executive;Dec2005, Vol. 25 Issue 12, p32
This article reports that according to a new study, a vaccine used to protect babies and children from pneumonia may also be helpful in decreasing deaths among the elder people in the U.S. It was published in the October 25, 2005, issue of the "Journal of the American Medical Association."...