EDITOR'S QUIZ: GI SNAPSHOT
- A case of recurrent cutaneous actinobacillosis. Truyers, Isabelle; Ellis, Kathryn; Norquay, Robert // Livestock (Electronic);Jul/Aug2014, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p225
Actinobacillus lignieresii is well recognised as a cause of 'wooden tongue' in cattle, but the disease can occasionally also affect other soft tissues of the head and neck and deep organs where it is often confused with neoplasms or exuberant granulation tissue. This report describes the...
- EVALUATION OF SOME DIAGNOSTIC METHODS FOR THE BRUCELLOSIS IN HUMANS -- A FIVE YEAR STUDY. M., Šiširak; M., Hukić; Z., Knežević // Contributions of Macedonian Academy of Sciences & Arts;2010, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p91
Brucellosis is a worldwide zoonosis with a high degree of morbidity in humans. In Bosnia and Herzegovina a progressive increase of brucellosis among humans is evident. As the clinical picture of human brucellosis is fairly non-specific, a definitive diagnosis requires isolation of the causative...
- The Diagnosis of Legionnaires' Disease. Tsai, Theodore F.; Fraser, David W. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Sep78, Vol. 89 Issue 3, p413
Editorial. Discusses laboratory methods to confirm the diagnosis of Legionnaire's disease. Characteristics of the disease; Problems with clinically diagnosing the disease; Effect of immunosuppresion on the severity of the infection; Methods use in diagnosing the disease.
- Salmonella Infection (Salmonellosis). // Diseases & Disorders: A Nursing Therapeutics Manual, 2nd edition;2002, p874
Presents a nursing guide to Salmonellosis, a bacterial infection. Causes; Assessment of the disease; Primary nursing diagnosis; Documentation guidelines; Discharge and home healthcare guidelines.
- A Rare Case of Prostatic Brucellosis Mimicking Prostate Cancer. Karabakan, Mehmet; Akdemir, Serkan; Akdemir, Alp Ozgur; Erkmen, Akif Ersoy; Kayabas, Uner // Urology Journal;Nov/Dec2014, Vol. 11 Issue 6, p1987
The article discusses the case study of a 50 years old male patient with almost 3 months low back pain, left-sided chest pain, weight loss, and intermittent fever heights. The patient's urine culture was found to be negative, but gram-negative coccobacilli was present on the fourth day. The...
- Field evaluation of a rapid immunochromatographic dipstick test for the diagnosis of cholera in a high-risk population. Xuan-Yi Wang; Ansaruzzaman, M; Vaz, Raul; Mondlane, Catarina; Lucas, Marcelino ES; von Seidlein, Lorenz; Deen, Jacqueline L; Ampuero, Sonia; Puri, Mahesh; Park, Taesung; Nair, GB; Clemens, John D; Chaignat, Claire-Lise; Rajerison, Minoarisoa; Nato, Farida; Fournier, Jean-Michel // BMC Infectious Diseases;2006, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p17
Background: Early detection of cholera outbreaks is crucial for the implementation of the most appropriate control strategies. Methods: The performance of an immunochromatographic dipstick test (Institute Pasteur, Paris, France) specific for Vibrio cholerae O1 was evaluated in a prospective...
- Eschar in scrub typhus: A valuable clue to the diagnosis. Raina, S. K. // Journal of Postgraduate Medicine;Oct-Dec2013, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p342
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Eschar in scrub typhus: A valuable clue to the diagnosis," by A.J. Jonathan and colleagues in a previous issue.
- Eschar in scrub typhus: A valuable clue to the diagnosis: Authors' reply. Abhilash, K. P. P.; Jonathan, A. J. J.; Nathaniel, S. D.; Varghese, G. M. // Journal of Postgraduate Medicine;Oct-Dec2013, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p343
A response by A.J. Jonathan and colleagues is presented to comments of researcher S.K. Raina and colleagues on their article "Eschar in scrub typhus: A valuable clue to the diagnosis," in a previous issue.
- Reply to Boethel et al. Murdoch, David R.; Podmore, Roslyn G.; Anderson, Trevor P.; Barratt, Kevin; Maze, Michael J.; French, Kathryn E.; Young, Sheryl A.; Chambers, Stephen T.; Werno, Anja M. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;Nov2014, Vol. 59 Issue 10, p1506
A response from the author of the article "Caution is needed concerning location of Legionella testing, as 1 size (method)does not fit all" in the 2014 issue is presented.