EDITOR'S QUIZ: GI SNAPSHOTS
- An unusual cause of small bowel obstruction: Gossypiboma -- case report. Gencosmanoglu, Rasim; Inceoglu, Resit // BMC Surgery;2003, Vol. 3, p6
Background: The term "gossypiboma" denotes a mass of cotton that is retained in the body following surgery. Gossypiboma is a medico-legal problem especially for surgeons. To the best of our knowledge, the patient presented herein is the second reported patient in whom the exact site of migration...
- Long-Standing Retained Foreign Body in the Rectum. Agarwal, Pawan // Internet Journal of Surgery;2009, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p17
The variety of objects removed from the rectum almost defies imagination. History is always obscure and misleading, the rectum can accommodate almost anything and the variety of rectal foreign bodies matches the ingenuity displayed for their removal. Principles of management include proper...
- Surgical Removal of Mango Kernel causing Intestinal Obstruction in a Dog. Cyrus, Joseph; Vaseem, S. A. Shahid; Basavanagowda, M. T. // Intas Polivet;Jul-Dec2010, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p330
Diagnosis and surgical management of an intestinal, mango kernel foreign body in a dog.
- Acute small bowel obstruction due to chicken bone bezoar. Vetpillai, Preadeepan; Oshowo, Ayo // International Medical Case Reports Journal;2012 Part 2, Vol. 5, p87
Acute intestinal obstruction due to foreign bodies, or bezoar, is a rare occurrence in an adult with a normal intestinal tract. We report an unusual case of a 43-year-old black man with no previous abdominal surgery and no significant medical history who presented with an acute episode of small...
- Multiple trichobezoars and laparotomies. Booth, I. W.; Harries, J. T. // Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine;Sep1981, Vol. 74 Issue 9, p691
The article presents a case study about multiple trichobezoars and laparotomies. A West Indian girl with history of vomiting and abdominal pain at the age of 5 was found to have an epigastric mass and a large intragastric trichobezoar. A year after, the girl presented with small intestinal...
- Ileosigmoid knotting- a rare variant of bowel volvulus. Alvi, A. Rehman; Bibi, Shahida; Effendi, Shahrukh; Khan, Salma // Tropical Doctor;Oct2008, Vol. 39 Issue 4, p245
Two patients with acute intestinal obstruction underwent exploratory laparotomy after adequate fluid resuscitation and radiological imaging. A preoperative diagnosis of sigmoid volvulus and an operative diagnosis of ileosigmoid knotting or compound volvulus were established.
- Delayed passage of metallic foreign bodies. Melhado, R. E.; Tucker, E.; Hall, R. I. // Gut;Aug2007, Vol. 56 Issue 8, p1065
A quiz concerning the findings of a laparotomy in a 34-year-old man who experienced delayed passage of metallic foreign bodies is presented.
- Novel Use of a Magnet to Help Remove Metallic Foreign Bodies from the Gastrointestinal Tract. Plantmason, Lee R.; Xu, Ginger; Harrison, Michael R.; Maa, John // American Surgeon;Nov2012, Vol. 78 Issue 11, pE472
A case study is presented of a 21-year-old woman with a history of psychiatric illness who had intentionally ingested a metal AAA battery. Following repeated abdominal computed tomography (CT), enema, and colonoscopy, it was suggested that the object could be trapped in the ileum. An external...
- Retained Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy Causing Small Bowel Obstruction in Inguinal Hernia. White, Terris L; Scheiner, Jonathan; Picon, Antonio I // American Surgeon;May2016, Vol. 82 Issue 5, p101
No abstract available.