3M to pay for perfluoro investigations
- Making the World a Better Place, One Battery at a Time. Hutchins, Abigail // Skipping Stones;Mar/Apr2004, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p5
The article focuses on the effects of throwing batteries carelessly. Batteries need to be disposed of properly. Some batteries contain lead, cadmium and even mercury. Cadmium is a highly toxic chemical which causes effects similar to mercury poisoning. These are chemicals that should not be...
- Watery debate. Gust, Steve // Waste News;05/08/2000, Vol. 5 Issue 51, p19
Reports that residents of Greensboro, North Carolina, are concerned that the closed Wiley Davis landfill may contaminate their drinking water as of May 8, 2000. State and local health officials' failure to ease the residents' contamination fear.
- The Mystery of the UPGRADIENT Contaminant. Maggio, Anthony G. // Pollution Engineering;Mar2011, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p14
The article discusses various methods on how perchloroethylene (PCE) detected in the two community water systems in Big Pine Indian Reservation in California was addressed. It says that an environmental assessment (EA) was performed and evaluated sources of potential contaminating activities...
- Calif. county weighs landfill fate. Wiley, Walt // Waste News;05/10/99, Vol. 4 Issue 52, p13
Reports on the fate of the proposed landfill in Gregory Canyon, San Diego County, California. End of public comment period for the project's environmental impact report; Objection to the landfill project from residents.
- Landfill lesson six: how to evaluate a potential sanitary landfill site Tansel, Berrin; O'Leary, Phil; Fero, Rick // Waste Age;Jun1986, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p78
No abstract available.
- Movin' on. Wiley, Walt // Waste News;03/01/99, Vol. 4 Issue 42, p4
Focuses on the draft environmental impact report released by backers of the proposed Gregory Canyon landfill in northern San Diego County, California. Chance for citizens to comment on the environmental report until the end of March 1999; Concerns raised by environmental groups including River...
- Drinking water contamination caused by uncontrolled landfills. Euller, S.; Petersen, A. // Construction of Unique Buildings & Structures;2014, Issue 8, p36
The following article deals with the worldwide problem of drinking water contamination caused by uncontrolled waste landfills. The population of the world is increasing and more waste is produced which needs to be disposed. Uncontrolled waste landfills are not managed and badly engineered,...
- The analysis of shallow groundwater quality around Laemchabang sanitary landfill, Chonburi, Thailand. Ponsai, Witchuda; Chotpantarat, Srilert // Advanced Materials Research;2014, Issue 931-932, p716
This study focused on quality of shallow groundwater collected around Laemchabang sanitary landfill Chonburi Province, Thailand. The sixteen public shallow wells were collected and analyzed for pH, cations (Ca2+, Mg2+, Na+ and K+), anions (HCO3-, Cl- and SO42-) and metals(As, Fe, Mn, Zn and Al)....
- Toxic Landfill Gas Building Up at South Carolina Lakeside Dump. // Hazardous Waste/Superfund Alert;11/14/2014, Vol. 36 Issue 20, p1
The article informs that leaking of hazardous chemical vapors from industrial waste dump has contaminated groundwater of Lake Marion, Carolina. Topics discussed include installation of a new cap over the original part of the dump to limit seeping vapors, protection of groundwater, and extraction...