Budget Battles Signal the Honeymoon's Over
- FIRIN' advICE. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2004, Vol. 40 Issue 6, p8
Offers pieces of advice on the election of fire department officers. Problems with electing a fire chief; Factors that should be considered when appointing an officer; Tips to qualify for the position.
- Keep Your Department's Leadership Fire Burning. PARKER, KEVIN // Fire Engineering;Jan2014, Vol. 167 Issue 1, p95
The article discusses the need for fire department leaders to recognize the importance of firefighters' growth and development. Topics addressed include the targeted use of assets to maximize the motivation and efficiency of a veteran/tenured firefighter, characteristics of firefighters at...
- The Leader and the Workplace Environment. Seal, Ulie // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2005, Vol. 41 Issue 6, p40
Emphasizes the importance of the role of the Fire Chief in maintaining an excellent workplace environment. Behaviors that are not acceptable for the workplace environment; Principles of change management that can be applied in fire departments; Implementation of committees to promote awareness...
- Let the Power Go to Your Head. Buckman, John // Fire Chief;May2004, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p26
Explores a fire chief's frustrations and responsibilities in the United States. Leadership role; Positive influence of the fire chief to others; Factors that affect fire chief's ability to be successful; Management of incompetent subordinates/firefighters.
- Completed Staff Work. Piercy, Ernst R. // Fire Chief;Jun2007, Vol. 51 Issue 6, p50
The article focuses on the importance of handling staff work which is often overlooked by the chief fire officers as part of their responsibility. To be able to handle staff work, it is important for the new chief fire officer to develop and experience people skills through education and...
- Fire Chief Qualifications. Clack, James // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2007, Vol. 43 Issue 6, p24
The author, who is chief of the Minneapolis Fire Department, presents his views on the ongoing debate in Saint Paul over the educational and experience requirements for the next fire chief. He contends that any fire chief must have significant experience under emergency conditions where lives...
- 'She's Broken Barriers' Hawley, David // Minnesota Fire Chief;Mar/Apr2005, Vol. 41 Issue 4, p19
Presents excerpts from the article ""She's Broken Barriers": Minneapolis' First Female Fire Chief," by David Hawley, which appeared in "St. Paul Pioneer Press."
- Fire Chief - Flagstaff (Ariz.) Fire Department. // Fire Chief Expert Blog;2/28/2013, p8
The article offers information on the fire chief position being offered by the Flagstaff Fire Department in Arizona.
- Becoming unstoppable. Buckman, John M. // Fire Engineering;Jan1998, Vol. 151 Issue 1, p8
Focuses on the ideal qualities of a volunteer fire chief. Importance of recognizing the significance of every experience; Reason why persistence is an important quality of volunteer fire chiefs; Resiliency of successful individuals; Difference between successful and unsuccessful people.