- Nine Firefighters Killed in S.C. Blaze. // Occupational Hazards;Jul2007, Vol. 69 Issue 7, p16
The article reports on the death of firefighters while battling a fire at the Sofa Super Store in Charleston, South Carolina on June 18, 2007. The fire reportedly began in a trash bin outside the store, which spread to the showroom, igniting furniture and quickly overwhelming firefighters. Fire...
- To Enter or Not to Enter, That is the Question. Chiaramonte, Mike // Fire Chief;May2008, Vol. 52 Issue 5, p20
The author reflects on how to implement clear risk management practices and safety procedures to minimize any risks faced by fire personnel. According to the author, officers and members need true guidelines for a practical and safe action plan. The author said that fire departments must adopt...
- A fire department's duty to death. Schmidt, Vicki // Fire Chief Expert Blog;9/24/2013, p2
The article focuses on the challenges faced by firefighters when they experience line-of-duty deaths. It mentions that despite a lot of time spent on disaster planning, most times firefighters' lives are still threatened while saving other people. According to the author, their duty to death is...
- Flaws cited in firefighter recruit's death. // Fire Engineering;Sep2004, Vol. 157 Issue 9, p40
The article reports that the Miami-Dade Office of Safety, Risk Management Division, has released its report pertaining to the death of a Miami-Dade firefighter recruit who died on August 8, 2003, when he became separated from four other firefighters and several instructors during a training...
- How operators deal with death overseas. Rahman, Justin // Travel Trade Gazette UK & Ireland;9/17/2004, Issue 2632, p26
Reports on the how travel operators should deal with deaths on holidays. Role of travel agents in dealing with bereaved relatives; Coverage of the legal responsibility by the European Travel Package Directive 1992; Importance of calling the police station nearest to where the next kin lives and...
- APPLYING THE LCES CONCEPT TO RESCUE OPERATIONS. Collins, Larry // Fire Engineering;Dec2002, Vol. 155 Issue 12, p47
Focuses on the use Lookouts, Communications, Escape Routes and Safety Zones (LCES), a firefighter-level risk management system in reducing firefighter injuries and deaths. Move of fire departments to expand the use of LCES; Effectiveness of LCES in protecting the lives of firefighters;...
- Training in Iraq. // Crisis Response Journal;Sep2009, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p7
The article reports on the training of unpaid volunteer firefighters to prepare them on how to perform rescue operation and to battle fires as part of the programme for the Iraq Civil Defence Directorate in Iraq.
- Thank a Firefighter! Cully, Christine French // Highlights;Oct2014, Vol. 69 Issue 10, p4
The author extends her gratitude to the volunteer firefighters and emergency workers in their community.
- Single-family home destroyed by fire. // Lakelander (Whitney, TX);8/12/2015, Vol. 28 Issue 31, p1
A photograph of a single-family home in Lake Whitney, Texas destroyed by fire on August 8, 2015 is presented.