Conserving Energy With a Pump System
- Fan & Pump Issues. Kaupp, Charles W. "Chuck" // TAB Journal;2011, p16
The article presents two case studies which involve problems with an exterior wall mounted kitchen hood exhaust fan and a small circulator pump. The first case experienced a problem with the alignment of the fan wheel and fan shaft of the exhaust fan resulting in the reduction of air volume. The...
- Time for Renovation. Vastyan, John // Reeves Journal: Plumbing, Heating, Cooling;May2008, Vol. 88 Issue 5, p46
The article focuses on the extensive renovation on the domestic water system of Figueroa at Wilshire building in Los Angeles, California, with plans toward energy savings. The energy audit team of the building's owner decided for the renovation to address multiple problems including high...
- Not pumping so hot. Holohan, Dan // PM Engineer;Jan2014, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p10
The article offers a discussion on available and required pump pressure. The two kinds of not pumping so hot (NPSH) are Net Positive Suction Head Available and Net Positive Suction Heat Required. The mechanism of the pump impeller is desctibed. Cavitation or destructive vapor occurs when there...
- Commercial Geothermal HEAT PUMP SYSTEMS. Siegenthaler, John // PM Engineer;Sep2009, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p24
The article discusses ways of upgrading standard designs of ground source heat pumps using the latest hydronics technology. It presents formulas that can be used to estimate the wattage associated with maintaining flow through an individual heat pump unit. It notes that the best option for a...
- Controlling an existing hydronic boiler. Wohlfarth, Ray // PM Engineer;Jan2014, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p12
The article offers tips for controlling an existing a hydronic heating system. Several factors to be considered when repairing or maintaining a hydronic boiler include design temperature, condensing temperature, Delta T or the temperature rise across a boiler, reset ratio, three-way valve,...
- Efficient controls give pyramid power. // Consulting-Specifying Engineer;Apr98, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p78
Reports on the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system upgrade at the Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco, California. Replacement of pneumatic devices by direct digital controls (DDC); Things monitored by DDC control sensors; Estimated annual energy and operating savings.
- HVAC Trials. Greim, Clifton W.; D'Angelo, David // American School & University;Dec99, Vol. 72 Issue 4, p22
Discusses the complexity of heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems of buildings. Weakness of centralized (HVAC) systems that is controlled by a computer; Importance of testing HVAC systems; Explanation on commissioning, a trial process HVAC systems; Cost of HVAC commissioning....
- What can you do with hydronics? Eatherton, Mark // Contractor Magazine;Sep99, Vol. 46 Issue 9, p38
Discusses the application of hydronics in buildings. Convective heating and cooling; Radiant heating; Snow melt; Towel warmers; Domestic hot water.
- Heating and Cooling Equipment. // National Construction Estimator;2008, Issue 56, p172
The article lists the estimated costs for hydronic heating and controls system which includes hydronic boiler, cast iron radiators, and hydronic radiation baseboard heaters.