Rural Subsidies Still a Concern
- Dot-com ax. Blum, Stephen // Satellite Broadband;Jun2001, Vol. 2 Issue 6, p28
Focuses on the failure of the Internet industry in 2001. Reliance of Internet-based companies on advertising revenue; How the industry ignored the success of cable television; Discussion on Internet content providers.
- Web Name Games Show Media Giants' Schemes. Donohue, Steve // Multichannel News;08/07/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 32, p1
Focuses on Internet ventures that have been announced by major United States cable television companies as of August 7, 2000. Launching of a company by Time Warner Inc. to compete with MTV Networks; Free cable modems from Cablevision Systems; Registration of the web site of C-SPAN to campaign...
- Are You an HPO? Paskowski, Marianne // Multichannel News;12/11/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 50, p48
Comments on developments related to the cable television industry in the United States as of December 11, 2000. Implications for cable television companies of the decline in stock prices of Internet companies; Factors affecting the cable television industry.
- Hooked up. Marchand, Nolan // Broadcasting & Cable;09/06/99, Vol. 129 Issue 37, p51
Reports on developments related to cable television and the Internet industry as of September 6, 1999. Includes cable television's ratings performance as better than network television's ratings; Ruling of a United States federal court against Cablevision Systems' lawsuit against RCN Corp.
- Cablers turn focus away from digital. Szalai, Georg // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;4/16/2002, Vol. 373 Issue 2, p8
Focuses on the economic slowdown of the digital cable and television industries in New York. Expansion of digital cable services; Concentration of operators on the further rollout of high-speed Internet services; Development of new products as video-on-demand and telephony.
- Cable Competition Waltzes Across Texas. Estrella, Joe // Multichannel News;08/21/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 34, p3
Focuses on the competition among cable television networks in Texas. Participation of the Western Integrated Networks LLC, Grande Communications and WideOpen West (WOW) LLC franchises; Implications of the competition for the consumers; Details on the Forth Worth agreement with WOW; Preparation...
- Competing news services vie for station loyalty. Lafayette, Jon // Electronic Media;09/11/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 37, p44
Focuses on the strategies employed by cable television networks to succeed in a competitive TV market in the United States. Effect of the joint venture between ABC, CBS and Fox network on the insurance policy of Cable News Network (CNN); Launch of the CNN Marketsource, a live stock-market...
- Operator good will is the real prize. Hall, Lee // Electronic Media;11/10/97, Vol. 16 Issue 46, p36
Announces that ZDTV, a computer oriented cable channel which will be launched in 1998, plans to sponsor the first competition to find the best Web site created by a cable operator in the United States. Winners to be honored at the 1997 Western Cable Show in California; Who will judge...
- Cable dodges rate regs. Albiniak, Paige // Broadcasting & Cable;07/27/98, Vol. 128 Issue 31, p4
Focuses on the increasing cable rates in the United States (US). US House Telecommunications Subcommittee Chairman Billy Tauzin's plan to introduce a bill intended to keep cable rates down; US Congress' effort to find a way to introduce competition into the cable industry.