Back In the PPV Ring
- Battle boils for sporting chance. Dempsey, John // Variety;8/28/95, Vol. 360 Issue 4, p31
Reports on conflicts in the distribution of television coverage of sports games between cable operators and direct-broadcast-satellite (DBS) distributors in the United States. Advantage of DirecTV and other DBS companies; Popularity of professional sports television coverage.
- Lighting the Flame Early. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;8/4/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 30, p4
The article reports that NBC Universal (NBCU) has already signed up several cable and satellite distributors to offer cable network and digital content in the U.S. from the 2010 Winter and 2012 Summer Olympic games. For the 2008 version, most of the industry has signed on to offer an enhanced...
- Cablers jab at Showtime over deal with DirecTV. Dempsey, John // Variety;10/18/99, Vol. 376 Issue 9, p28
Reports that the exclusive right to offer the live Showtime cablecast of the October 23, 1999 Mike Tyson-Orlin Norris boxing fight was granted to DirecTV. Reaction from other cable operators.
- Cable's Pricey Ticket. Higgins, John M. // Broadcasting & Cable;8/28/2006, Vol. 136 Issue 34, p19
The article considers the problem faced by cable and satellite operators in dealing with the increasing cost of sports networks in the U.S. Operators refusing to give in to the license-fee demands of sports networks can count on attacks through advertising and sports talk radio. Sports teams...
- Cable Plates MLB on PPV. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;5/14/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 20, p62
Reports the deal between DirecTV and In Demand in the United States. Distribution of the Major League Baseball's 'MLB Extra Innings'; Extension of the out-of-market deal through 2003; Terms of the deal.
- NBA TV Showcases HD Playoff Contests. Stump, Matt // Multichannel News;4/21/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 16, p39
The article reports that after broadcasting four regular-season of basketball games in television network HDTV the NBA TV channel will televise three games and seven first-round games overall in HDTV. NBA TV is available through direct-broadcast satellite on DirecTV Inc. and Dish Network, and...
- Super Sunday Dead Ahead. Gibbons, Kent // Multichannel News;1/26/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p56
Comments on the way cable and satellite television operators market their ability to offer the 2004 Super Bowl game in high-definition format. Comparison of Super Bowl viewership and World Series viewership; Advantage of television advertisements on high-definition format; Details of the game.
- Australia sports stay on free TV. Bennett, Ray; Taylor, Joel // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;4/13/2004, Vol. 383 Issue 21, p76
The Australian government has resisted strong lobbying by the subscription television industry to rewrite antisiphoning sports regulation and has reaffirmed its commitment to giving priority to free-to-air broadcasters with the release of an updated list of protected sporting events that only...
- Let the Games BEGIN. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;6/4/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 23, p16
The article comments on the dispute between DirecTV and cable television operators over MLB Extra Innings, the subscription package of out-of-market baseball games of Major League Baseball, in the U.S. in 2007. The dispute arose from DirecTV's efforts to acquire exclusive rights to broadcast...