Words of Caution
- Is Your Insurance Legit? You Sure? Ashford, Kate // Money;Jul2006, Vol. 35 Issue 7, p24
The article discusses fraudulent insurance policies. The U.S. National Association of Insurance Commissioners reports that bogus insurers dupe thousands of people a year. Some discount plans offer only discounts on drugs and medical bills but deceptively use the term "insurance" anyway, and...
- Producers form first line of defense. Roberts, Sally // Business Insurance;09/18/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 38, p26A
Reports on the role of agents and brokers in combating fraud in the United States insurance industry. Cost of bogus insurance claims in 1999; Contacts between the policyholder and the agent or broker; Courses on insurance fraud; Need for agents to be aware of fraud scenarios; Signs of possible...
- Reserve Shenanigans In A Down Cycle. Szkoda, Suan T. // National Underwriter / Property & Casualty Risk & Benefits Manag;07/26/99, Vol. 103 Issue 30, p26
Discusses the phases of a typical underwriting down cycle. Tricks of the trade; What people should do to avoid being victims of these tricks; How insurance companies fit into the different cycles.
- Baiting the Hook. Thompson, Courtenay // Internal Auditor;Jun99, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p69
Focuses on an example of fraud in the marketing program of the an insurance company. Possible explanations for the reduced response rate to the marketing campaign; Action taken by the general auditor of the company to investigate the fraud; Lessons to be learned from the experience.
- INSURANCE FRAUD AND 'DIRTY TRICKS' Carbajal Jr., Michael // Insurance Advocate;02/03/2001, Vol. 112 Issue 5, p16
Focuses on the corrupt practices of insurance companies in the United States. Discussion on the disregard of people on insurance crimes; Overview of cases involving insurance crimes; Role of the government in preventing insurance crimes.
- Second-hand endowment policies. // Accountancy;Jul1989, Vol. 104 Issue 1151, p41
This article focuses on Policy Portfolio, the British company that specialises in buying and selling endowment insurance policies. For a variety of reasons, many holders of endowment policies decide they would prefer cash immediately rather than hold them to maturity. Policy Portfolio, which is...
- Private income plan. // Accountancy;Sep80, Vol. 91 Issue 1045, p26
This article reports on the introduction of the ninth issue of the Private Income Plan insurance scheme by the National Mutual Life Assurance Society in Great Britain. The scheme is a combination of a temporary annuity and an endowment assurance. A 10-year term is offered on the endowment...
- Don't Sell That MEC! Or Should You? Pinkans, Michael // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;7/21/2003, Vol. 107 Issue 29, p21
Discusses the pros and cons of selling a modified endowment contract (MEC). Definition of MEC; Reasons on the effectiveness of MEC to clients; Answer to the question of paying premiums below the MEC limitation to avoid a MEC.
- Q&Aâ€¦. Harris, Justine // Money Management;2/8/2007, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p20
The article provides information on some things that must be considered before canceling or terminating an endowment policy when an insurance benefit is no longer required in Australia. According to the author, an endowment policy may be converted to a policy that may not require payments for...