- New treaty? Howard, L.; Cerio, G. // Newsweek;1/14/1991, Vol. 117 Issue 2, p4
Explains how some Pentagon officials are quietly debating whether Washington should renegotiate the Panama Canal Treaties to allow a US military presence in Panama after the Dec. 31, 1999 pullout date.
- Building the Panama Canal. Suarez, O. // Americas;May/Jun87, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p28
Overview of the history of the Panama Canal's development. How it was built; Its opening in 1914; Political maneuvering of the Canal's building; Environmental conditions affecting workers on the Canal; Engineering difficulties encountered.
- Recalling the hitch in the big ditch. Topic, Steven C. // World Trade;Aug96, Vol. 9 Issue 8, p96
Reflects on the G1 of the construction of the Panama Canal. Claims of Theodore Roosevelt regarding his role in the construction of the canal; Ruining of reputation of French entrepreneurs and engineers; Vision of Frenchman Ferdinand de Lesseps.
- America lets go of Panama Canal. LaFranchi, Howard // Christian Science Monitor;12/13/99, Vol. 92 Issue 13, p1
Reports on the United States relinquishing control of the Panama Canal to Panama by former US president Jimmy Carter and the implications of the event as a symbol of the changing nature of the US status in international relations. INSET: Major events in the history of the Panama Canal..
- Strategic interests in Panama. Patterson, Anne // U.S. Department of State Dispatch;3/20/95, Vol. 6 Issue 12, p228
Presents the speech made by the US Deputy Assistant Secretary for Inter-American Affairs before the Subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere of the House Committee on International Relations on March 9, 1995. The Clinton administration's policy toward Panama; US-Panama relations since 1903;...
- Panama's farewell to (American) arms. Robinson, Linda; Whitelaw, Kevin; Newman, Richard J. // U.S. News & World Report;08/09/99, Vol. 127 Issue 6, p32
Discusses the effect on the drug trade caused by the withdrawal of United States troops from Panama, as required by the 1977 Panama Canal treaty. Movement of troops from bases in Panama to bases in Aruba, Curacao, and Ecuador; Comparison of abilities to track drug-traffickers; Predictions of...
- Treaty to facilitate the construction of a ship canal. // Treaty to Facilitate the Construction of a Ship Canal;2009, p1
Presents the text of a 1902 treaty designed to facilitate the construction of the Panama Canal. Specifics of the treaty.
- A Helping Hand. Arana-Barradas, Louis A. // Airman;Nov99, Vol. 43 Issue 11, p10
Focuses on the impact of the departure of the airmen in Howard Air Force Base in Panama on the Panamians as the 1977 Panama Canal Treaty ends. Benefits of the base to the Panamians according to Migdalea Murillo, a senior who resides on the shores of Panama Bay; Comments by Master Sergeant Jim...
- Through The Eyes Of History. Urso, Philip // Wireless Week;2/18/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 7, p3
Traces the history of the Panama Canal. Brief information on how the canal was built; Challenges faced in building the canal; Ways in which the builders dealt with the obstacles in building the canal.