What every physician should know about transfusion reactions
- plasma exchange therapy. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1801
An encyclopedia entry for "plasma exchange therapy," which refers to the removal of plasma from a patient and its replacement with normal plasma, is presented.
- Human urotensin-II enhances plasma extravasation in specific vascular districts in Wistar rats. Gendron, Gabrielle; Simard, Bryan; Gobeil Jr., Fernand; Sirois, Pierre; D'Orl�ans-Juste, Pedro; Regoli, Domenico // Canadian Journal of Physiology & Pharmacology;Jan2004, Vol. 82 Issue 1, p16
Plasma extravasation (PE) was measured in adult Wistar rats by injecting Evans blue dye (EB) (20 mg kgï¿½1) intravenously in the absence or presence of human urotensin II (U-II) (0.1ï¿½10 nmol kgï¿½1). A consistent increase of PE was observed in specific organs (e.g., aorta, from 28.1...
- Comparison of intravenous immunoglobulin and plasma exchange in treatment of mechanically ventilated children with Guillain BarrÃ© syndrome: a randomized study. El-Bayoumi, Mohammed A.; El-Refaey, Ahmed M.; Abdelkader, Alaa M.; El-Assmy, Mohamed M. A.; Alwakeel, Angi A.; El-Tahan, Hanem M. // Critical Care;2011, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p1
Introduction: Respiratory failure is a life threatening complication of Guillain BarrÃ© syndrome (GBS). There is no consensus on the specific treatment for this subset of children with GBS. Methods: This was a prospective randomized study to compare the outcome of intravenous immunoglobulin...
- plasmapheresis:. Huber, Jeffrey T.; Gillaspy, Mary L. // Encyclopedic Dictionary of AIDS-Related Terminology;2000, p179
A definition of the term "plasmapheresis" is presented. It refers to the separation of the cellular elements of the blood from the plasma, after it has been withdrawn from the body. In this process, the packed red cells are then retransfused into the donor, or to an individual requiring red...
- Fresh-Frozen Plasma: The Lack of Need for Surgical Hemostasis in a Plasma-Exchanged Patient. Bayer, William L. // Clinical & Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis;Spring1995, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p166
Three consecutive daily plasma volume plasma exchanges were done using no coagulation factor-containing materials on a patient who then underwent thymectomy without any hemostatic problems immediately after the third exchange.
- IVIg in idiopathic autoimmune neuropathies: analysis in the light of the latest results. Nobile-Orazio, Eduardo; Terenghi, Fabrizia // Journal of Neurology;May2005 Supplement 1, Vol. 252, pI7
High-dose intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIg) is effective in the treatment of idiopathic autoimmune neuropathies including Guillain-Barrï¿½ syndrome (GBS), chronic inflammatory demyelinating neuropathy (CIDP) and multifocal motor neuropathy (MMN), representing a useful option or, as in MMN,the...
- Plasmapheresis- Review Article. Abdollahi, Alireza // Iranian Journal of Pathology;Summer2014, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p169
Plasmapheresis, which is defined as the removal of plasma, can be either "adjusted plasma" or "exchange of plasma". The former is defined as selective withdrawal of certain (un)-pathological plasma components in different ways such as perfusion and then returning the remained donor plasma to...
- Efficacy of reconstituted blood in exchange transfusion. Sharma, D. C.; Rai, Sunita; Mehra, Aakash; Sao, Satya; Gaur, Ajay // Asian Journal of Transfusion Science;Jan-Jun2008, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p40
Aim: This study was aimed to establish the practice of reconstituted blood in exchange transfusion (ET) in neonates. Materials and Methods: Seventy six neonates with various indications for exchange transfusion were selected and exchange transfusion was performed with reconstituted blood after...
- Therapeutic plasma exchange in children. Wright, Elizabeth // Paediatric Nursing;Nov2004, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p39
Provides information on therapeutic plasma exchange (TPE) in children. Background on TPE; Procedure of TPE; Complications and risks of plasma exchange.